PDA

View Full Version : Crispa Bleeching, HELP

Genin
12/20/2005, 12:57 PM
Hello Reefers,
I have had my H. Crispa anemone since July of 05. This month it started to get rid of its zooanthellae algae. It's basically bleaching itself at a pretty rapid rate.

Here's the tank specifics:
12g Nano Cube DX
Lighting: 48w PC
PH: 8.2
Temp: 78
SG: 1.025

I know you guys are going to say "OMG, it's not under MH lighting you evil idiot!" Please spare that. The anemone has been doing great and has grown tremendously, but recently it has been less than completely expanded and is dumping out its zooanthellae like a mad man. The only thing I can think of is that I added a SSB within the past month as where its tank used to be BB. What can I do? What should I change or test?

Here are some pics of it getting rid of it's zoo:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/DSCN3785.jpg
http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/DSCN3786.jpg

Gwoardnog
12/20/2005, 01:11 PM
Can't see the pics.

My first guess would be the lighting.

How's your stability through the day though. What and how much are you feeding it?

phender
12/20/2005, 01:50 PM
I can't see the pics, but I went to your gallery. Judging from the small volume of water in your tank, I would would guess you had a temp. or chemical fluctuation that you didn't notice. There also may be a build up of organic compounds in the water that the anemone isn't happy with.
If it is the former, you should probably just wait it out and keep things as pristine as you can. If it is the later, adding/changing the carbon in your filter should help, along with some small water changes.

Genin
12/20/2005, 02:55 PM
Sorry about the pics not working. Try right clicking the link going to properties and copying the url to your clipboard, then hit go (pic should come up then).

I feed the anemone just about every other day. I do weekly 20% water changes, which is what I have always done with this tank. I do them every Tuesday, so I will do it again today and hope for the best. I use tropic marin salt incase you wanted to know. The temp doesn't fluctuate during the day, it does drop about 2F at night though.