PDA

View Full Version : Dying firefish, please help

i have crabs
12/19/2005, 10:58 PM
My fire fish has a large abrasion on it and its breathing is very labored. It can barely swim, and is mostly lying around now. It looks like it will die before the end of the night. Can anyone tell if this is a disease, or looks like something attacked it? I have had this fish for over a year now, and this has developed since last night. As of now, the fish is still alive, barely. Any advice?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/cliffpassow/neo345.jpg

zens
12/20/2005, 12:12 AM
looks like it took a beating. what else do you have in the tank?

i have crabs
12/20/2005, 01:20 AM
I only have a pep shrimp, cleaner shrimp and various hermits/snails. And of course a yellow clown goby and red head goby.

TerryB
12/20/2005, 01:45 AM
Looks like an injury. Could you possibly have a mantis shrimp that hitchhiked in some live rock? I would move the fish to quarantine without taking it out of the water. It has probably lost a lot of blood and it is having a difficult time keeping salt out of it's body. I would reduce the salinity to 12-14ppt (not Specific Gravity), add a polymer to protect the wound such as StressGuard or Pro Tech Coat Marine and use a good antibiotic. You don't have time to waste. This fish will be dead soon unless you do something to reduce the loss of blood and the influx of salt.

Terry B