PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Just poly-ed DIY stand and I HATE the color!

hot4teacher
12/18/2005, 07:30 PM
I finished up my stand and since I was so excitedto almost have it complete, I poly-ed the first coat last night. I even did a test piece of wood and was pleased, however it turned into a gold tint after I poly-ed the stand. Well, needless to say, I am NOT pleased with the results.

What are my options? Is painting it out of the option since I poly-ed it?

I went to great efforts to get such a nice grained wood, but a gold tint on a stand with a reef tank isn't impressing me so far.

Anyone else have a light gold tint on their stand? Share a pic please?

Dana :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

jc5205
12/18/2005, 07:40 PM
Wheres the pics?

hot4teacher
12/18/2005, 07:53 PM
Will have to run home and get the camera.

Follow-up question:

I can almost live with the color the more I look at it. But since it needs about 3 more coats, will it get darker with each coat? (I imagine the answer is yes)

Dana

rivdog
12/18/2005, 07:58 PM
Yes u can paint it,.... in the end. You can change the look of it still, but im not sure that u can lighten it much. What kind of poly did u use? Brand, oil or water base. I'm a painting contractor and may be able to help you some. Does your test piece still look different than the stand?

hot4teacher
12/18/2005, 08:15 PM
Hi rivdog,

It is an oil-based clear semi-gloss Poly.

Actually, the stand is starting to lighten up (maybe as it dries?) and is looking closer to the test piece. Also, the sun is coming up and giving me more light in the room, so it doesn't look AS bad. :rollface:

So if I wanted to continue with the poly coats, will it increasingly get darker with each coat?

It started out as a light almond color and has changed to a light honey.

I wonder if I could use a colonial blue to do some trim. Hmmm.

Well, if I can paint, what type of paint will be compatible?

Thanks rivdog and all!

Dana

rivdog
12/18/2005, 08:50 PM
Oil base poly always will cause the wood to yellow, or turn gold. More coats of it wont make it yellow much more, but will bring out what is already in the wood. Oil based poly will continue to yellow throughout its life. More and more peolple are using the water based polys because of this. The flooring guys that I work with do the 1st 2 coats in oil then the water based stuf. Im not sure if that is to prevednt yellowing or for durability..I could check with them. Oh. the water based poly does not make it yellow when used on the first. What u could do is make it darker to a color u may like. To do this sand the 1st with 150grit sandpaper and then apply a stain. let it sit , 5- 10 min , then wipe off. This is a trial and error thing to be done on a test piece. Or u could try a stripping liquid, but since u only have 1 coat on, I dont think the results would be that much different. It depends on how far u want to go. You could sand it all with power sanders to get it down to the raw wood. Then apply water based poly. If you polyed the inside of your stand, or anyplace that will stay wet you should only use Spar urethane, it is for exterior use. Not a brand, but a type of poly. If u want to paint it, sand very good with the 150, and apply a high quality primer. Use a top quality latex primer and some good paint. Ben moore is good for both. Dont use flat paint u cant clean it. Dont paint the inside of stand with this stuff either . RAMBLE RAMBLE. What kind of wood did u use?

rdelong
12/18/2005, 09:10 PM
Benjamin Moore makes a product called "Stays Clear" which paints on translucent white and dries perfectly clear. I used it for whitewashed finish where a yellow poly finish is not acceptable. I highly recommend this product!!!!!

rivdog
12/18/2005, 09:12 PM
That would be the water based poly, but will not take the existing yellow out. It is nice stuff.

hot4teacher
12/19/2005, 08:03 AM
I really appreciate all of the help guys. I went back to school and looked it over again. It seems to lighten up the more it dries. It was actually a little lighter than when I left to go home. So I went back to the local store and bought SPAR urethene. I saw I was using Poly for indoors.... The funny thing is I swore I pulled a SPAR off the shelf, but I guess I didn't. :mad2:

Went over it with a little steelwool and it lightened it up a hair, then added a coat of SPAR. It looks real glossy and not too bad. Still a honey color.

I guess this just means I need to upgrade and build a new stand sooner!

:D

Thanks again everyone. I still might add some different color trim. Sorry rivdog, not sure of the wood type. Bought in Japan and I have no idea what it is. I will post some pics shortly before the poly.

Dana

hot4teacher
12/19/2005, 08:13 AM
I guess it looks different depending on the light level. These are all PRE-poly coat. It was closer to the light almond color in the first two pics.

http://www.backyardbullet.com/danastand.jpg

http://www.backyardbullet.com/danastand2.jpg

http://www.backyardbullet.com/danastand3.jpg

Dana

schristi69
12/19/2005, 12:41 PM
Why did you build it with a center support? It is going to be a b#$%h to get a sump in there.

hot4teacher
12/19/2005, 05:59 PM
It's removable!

I wasn't going to have any center support on the front or the back...but I thought it couldnt hurt. Then I was only going to have the rear support removable, but I thought if I ever needed to pull out the sump with a full display tank, I'm f-------. So I used the L brackets to install it.

I do hope my plan works!

Dana