PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Dragonet question

El Langostino
12/17/2005, 04:30 PM
With a 90 gallon tank and 50-75 lbs of live rock with some soft corals and clams, how long should I wait for my tank to be established with copepods and worms before I add a Mandarin? I've heard 6 months, is this about accurate? Thanks.

If you have or have ever housed one of these creatures, please respond with your situation (How long you waited until adding one, did it thrive? Were there problems? etc.).

dragon_slayer
12/17/2005, 05:26 PM
the pod population is the deciding factor, not time. you can have a system thats been up and running for yrs and it may not have nor ever have an adequate population of pods to sustain a Mandy. the best indication is when you look in the tank at night with a light and you see million of the little critters all over the place for many months then your ready.

my pair went into my 180g system the day i got it all set up and running, i knew the rock placed in the system had the population and never doubted they'd do great in it, other systems I've got that are a few yrs old i don't think I'd ever add a Mandy to one of them.

kc

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/542/29872mandy1.jpg

tangey
12/17/2005, 06:22 PM
you might want to get a refugium for the pods to make without predators tryign to eat them

supertech3
12/17/2005, 07:31 PM
I agree with dragonslayer, my first one did not survive but about 6 weeks, the present one has been healthy for over 6 months due to patience for the tank to show signs of many creatures roaming around the rock at night.

usmcsgt
12/17/2005, 07:46 PM
I would add more live rock, I have around 140lbs of live rock with three pod eaters

zoebeaglezoe
12/17/2005, 09:09 PM
you should be closer to a pound per gallon of live rock and I would wait for as long as you can 6 months at the soonest and pick you tank mates carefully so there is no competion for food also like tangey said a refugium would be a huge plus.also if you want to get the ball rolling you can a copepods to your tank before the mandarin you can buy those sea pods or try this site www.inlandaquatics.com I've ordered from them to seed my refugium with great success I ordered the detrivore kit

Ebisan
12/17/2005, 09:52 PM
dragon_slayer, looks like the one on the right is getting enough to eat. Look at that tummy.

mikeatjac
12/17/2005, 10:40 PM
I think you need more LR. You can add some pods to your tank to jump start it. Make sure you don't have any fish like a 6 line that eats pods.

mikeatjac
12/17/2005, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6306788#post6306788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ebisan
dragon_slayer, looks like the one on the right is getting enough to eat. Look at that tummy.

It does look full!

dragon_slayer
12/18/2005, 01:50 AM
she's gravid in that pic, they spawn regularly, they'll do that when well fed.

kc

bngowe
12/18/2005, 07:50 AM
i'd know it was ready when your system seems to be infested with copepods everywhere!

El Langostino
12/18/2005, 08:43 PM
Hmm....thanks for all the information everyone. Unfortunately, I was also planning on getting a six line wrasse =( I guess I'll have to decide between it or eventually getting a mandarin.