PDA

View Full Version : Algae Bloom

iflyprops
12/15/2005, 08:56 PM
Hello,

Over the past day or so I have noticed the beginnings of the algae in my 29 gallon. It has about 20lbs of "curing" liverock and is on week three with nothing else in it other than sand. The algae is predominantly brown but I have notiecd some green as well as grassy looking red.

Here is my question:

Next week I will be leaving town for about five or six days and I do not want to come home to a tank that I cannot see into... Should I put in a small cleaning crew now and if so will they be able to survive on what is in the tank alone, also what would you recommend for a cleaning crew. I'm completely open to suggestions I just don't want anything that will eat my featherdusters :)

Thanks!!!
Adam

lovethereefer
12/15/2005, 09:06 PM
if you have no ammonia in the tank i would do a nice water change and then put in a small snail cleaning crew

iflyprops
12/16/2005, 12:34 AM
What type of snails, Turbos? Astreas?

Thanks!
Adam

iflyprops
12/16/2005, 12:21 PM
How many snails should I put in initially for my 29g and what species?

Thanks!
Adam

PiNaPLeX
12/16/2005, 12:42 PM
i have a 29g and my initial cleanup crew consisted of 10 nassarius snails, and 10 turbos. I had a bit of an algae problem and added 10 more turbos and they've all been doing great since then, and my tank is looking great also.

BloBBeBo
12/16/2005, 12:50 PM
My 29 gallon has a cleanup crew consists of the below listed in my siggy. I'm suffering through an algae bloom currently as well. It's about my 3rd one in the past 4 or 5 months.

yaddamean
12/16/2005, 12:59 PM
I just went through my algae bloom. I bought 10 nas snails and about 5 turbos...all they do is just sit there!! but until I bought my lawnmower blenny my tank started clearing up!:) this guy turned out to be one of my favorite characters in the tank because you can actually see his little mouth marks all over the rocks and walls. I would recommend a blenny when you return from your vacation. Make sure your parameters are correct before you add any livestock first though.

iflyprops
12/20/2005, 10:25 PM
The other day I put in 3 turbos, 3 hermits, an emerald crab and a peppermint shrimp as advised by my lfs. I was doubting the shrimp as I left the store...sure enough it was dead by morning. My algae is still pretty much in full bloom after two days in the tank but it is looking marginally better. I haven't seen the emerald crab in at least 24hrs, is this normal? I realize I need some more snails and possibly hermits but that will wait until after I get back from vacation in a week or so.

Thanks!
Adam