PDA

View Full Version : Best Method for treating Fungus

Nami19
12/13/2005, 08:49 PM
I just bought a flame angel from the LFS. The flame was just shipped in on last Wednesday and I picked him/her up today. I noticed a small grey/white fluffy bump on it's right of the body, along with a "scar." Looks like it maybe got banged up on the shipment. Anyways, it's extremely active and ate like a horse tonight.

Is it fungus?? If so, what's the best method to treat this fungus??

Or is it possible that is could just be scar tissue that will just fall off on it's own??

Steven Pro
12/13/2005, 09:32 PM
My first guess would be a bacterial infection or Lymphocystis. See if you can find some images of Lymphocystis to compare to. If it is not Lymphocystis, I would treat with an antibiotic in quarantine.

Nami19
12/13/2005, 10:37 PM
It doesn't like Lymphocystis, but I'm not positive. If you look downward at the fish (aerial view) the grey/white bump almost points out, almost like a loose piece of skin, is that possible? Just scar tissue?

I thought Lymphocystis usually starts at the edge of the fins, gills, and mouth, is that correct?

Puffer Queen
12/13/2005, 10:41 PM
Can you post a pic of the spot ?

I would definitely add vitamins & beta glucan to the angel's food to help boost its immune system so it can hopefully fight off whatever it is and heal.

Best of luck,
Kelly

TerryB
12/14/2005, 03:28 AM
Most likely bacterial considering it is located in a wound and this is a saltwater fish. I would treat in quarantine with furanase (nifurpirinol) because it is a good choice for both bacterial and fungal infection.

Terry B

Nami19
12/14/2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks TerryB, I'm going to treat with furanase (nifurpirinol).

Also TerryB, out of curiousity, it lymphocystis more common among freshwater fish?

thanks so much for your help.

TerryB
12/14/2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Nami19,

It is possible that it is just an injury that will heal with time, but if it is getting bigger then I would treat it.

Good question about whether lymphocystis is more common with FW fish or SW fish. I hadn't really though about that.

Lymphocystis looks like little cauliflower on the fish. The lesions are irregular in size and shape and get much larger than ich. There isn't a good direct treatment for this. The best thing to do is reduce stress, improve the diet, and give the fish great water quality. Vitamins, Selcon and Beta glucan (stimulates immune function) can all help. I like to reduce the salinity for fish with lymphocystis to conserve energy, that would otherwise be consumed in osmoregulation, for things like healing and other functions.

Terry B

Nami19
12/14/2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks again TerryB,

One last question.... should I try to remove the fungus or scar tissue from the fish? Or will that just go away once I treat it with the furanase?

The grey/white spot (does not at all look like lymphocystis, thankfully) is just attached on one end, then it stucks out from the fish, almost like a big "paper-cut" we've all gotten before.

Thanks TerryB for your patience and the time for helping me, I just want to make sure this fish lives a long, healthy life.

Puffer Queen
12/14/2005, 10:45 PM
Nami19,

Do not attempt to remove anything - this will only stress the fish out and potentially cause more injury/damage to the tissue.

Best of luck,
Kelly

TerryB
12/14/2005, 11:25 PM
I agree with Kelly, don't try to remove the lesion. I probably would not start antibiotic treatment unless things seem to be getting worse. If it is a simple injury then it may heal with just good water quality. You might make a large water change using well aged and aerated saltwater first.

Terry B