PDA

View Full Version : State of my tank

Chris_Campbell
12/13/2005, 01:21 PM
Thought I would make this post half to give me something to do, half to get a better Idea of where my tank is. Setup date was 11/26 (early Morning, like 1amish) hehe day was also my B-day!

Current Parameters are:
PH: 8.3
Alk: unsure, keep messing this test up somehow!
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .1
Nitrate: .2
Salinity 1.024 ( tested with refractometer )
Calcium: 450/500 (depends on how you interpret the color hehe

Before, I had slight ammonia, no nitrites, and some nitrates. Then it went to Ammonia 0, niTrites .5, niTrates 0. This was over the course of two weeks. Sooo It's my understanding that is going rather quickly and should be fully cycled in a weeks time. Is I've said before, I have about 4lbs of garf grunge in there. But added quite a bit of Chaeto last week as well as a few types of Caulerpa ( macros in the fuge ). Not to mention a few ceriths graciously donated by Fred!

I still need to seed the Rock and sand though. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. corralline scrappings, cup o' sand, those microcritters, bugs, worms, or what not. pretty much anything you guys could spare that you wouldn't miss or want to get rid of. Oh, I'll even take a few Aiptsia! My goal is to culture them in a 30gal rubbermaid, So that I can start breeding burghia (sp?) sometime this spring. Already have one the size of a pencil lead also donated to me by Fred, woot!

P.S. I'll be at Christmas party saturday (hint) :D

ReefRacer
12/13/2005, 02:52 PM
I can bring you some live sand my fuge if I make it to the party. I don't see much in it nowadays with the low nutrients I have. I am fairly sure there is some bacteria and stuff in it though. Mike

imsqueak
12/13/2005, 10:08 PM
Chris,

I suspect you still have stages to go thru. Your levels are low indicating you are at the end of the cycle. I'm curious, what did you do other than add sw, rock, sand and grunge? I don't mean that wrong but I've deleted my first response because I don't know that answer. A cycle is a "relative thing" so depending on how much stuff rotted to create ammonia, you may have a minute amount of beneficial bacteria or you may have a healthy amount for your tank's size.

Runner
12/13/2005, 10:16 PM
I can bring you some razor caulerpa that is teaming with life (pods, bristle worms, perhaps even a small brittle star or two). Put it somewhere to the side away from your rock for a few days and let the life spread out, then remove it. If it drifts around and clings to your rocks, you may never get rid of it -- I know I can't.

I can also bring you a scoop of sand from my refugium, too. Get some diversity.

Let me know.

RCS
12/13/2005, 10:23 PM
Coralline isn't a problem if you need some...I'd maybe wait a while though, since you said one of the rocks you added turned white pretty quickly. You saw my glass, anytime you need some, let me know.

Chris_Campbell
12/14/2005, 12:49 AM
hehe well... as far as stuff dying and decaying. I cant remember what day it was but there where a few erm bugs that got trapped in the water. A wasp among other things and I just let em go.. hehe

And thanks guys I cant tell you how much I'd appreciate it all.. and Fred if you say wait.. then I'll wait. I'm the noob remember? hehe