PDA

View Full Version : Does your significate other support your hobby?

awcurl
12/13/2005, 11:58 AM
:rolleyes: A resent post in another thread made me wonder just how many of us have the support of our significant other in our hobby. Although my wife enjoys looking at my aquarium she is just not as interested in it as I am, but it's the same for me with her sewing. Since we both know how much each of us other enjoys our individual hobby we are able to support each other. I guess what I'm trying to say is we each enjoy the others hobby through them.

I would like to get a better idea of how our club members are supported in the hobby so I put together this poll.

TriMax
12/13/2005, 12:06 PM
Art

I selected the second choice.

Eddie

EvilMel
12/13/2005, 12:39 PM
Brent, as many of you know, is very supportive of my hobby but he really isn't as interested as me. He would not want to keep the tanks if I didn't want to anymore.

He is very supportive of me spending money on the fishtank as long as whatever I buy isn't going to take up more room in the house. For example he thinks I should buy a sump and better skimmer because they would probably go under the stand but he doesn't want me to buy an RO system like I want (a multi-stage one that mounts on the wall). The reason he doesn't want me to buy that is because we have absolutlely no room to put it! hah hah.

He recognizes that his hobbies are more expensive than mine and I am very supportive of his. We just don't argue about that kind of stuff.

Chris_Campbell
12/13/2005, 12:45 PM
I'm a free agent now.. so no one to keep me in check hehe But the one I did have for 6yrs supported it.

llpoolej
12/13/2005, 01:48 PM
Larry was into aggressive tanks when we met. So, it was really him that wanted to get another tank a couple of years ago. I had discouraged him for awhile

I am the one who took it the reef direction. He enjoys it as much as I do

I do the animal care, he does the tank care. Works out great

craftytony
12/13/2005, 05:31 PM
She loves our tank...hates the expense! lol

Kennetht
12/13/2005, 06:05 PM
Jenni loves her tank, and can't wait to get our 135 setup. She's just not into going to meetings and spending hours in a store looking at the corals like I am.

imsqueak
12/13/2005, 06:21 PM
Pauline rarely see's our fish tank :cool: It's kinda like a big lamp that she knows is on when it's on and it's off when it's off. She only nagged the first couple times I created a flood, and when I took over half the laundry room for my sump.:D

easttn
12/13/2005, 06:35 PM
No supporrt here. COuld care less and does not like me spending time in the basement tinkering.

RCS
12/13/2005, 07:08 PM
I think she's got just as many tanks set up as I do at this point...

Runner
12/13/2005, 10:12 PM
Being the inspiration of this thread, I reckon I should answer. :D

My wife looked over my shoulder just now and says she is half-way between the last two. :)

She doesn't really discourage the hobby -- just nags me if I spend too much time on it when the kids are awake. Since I layed out my budget of $40 every two weeks (plus 25% of any overtime money), she doesn't complain about the cost since that is my hobby money (be it for fish or woodworking or guitar).

She will top off water and feed the tanks for me when I am gone. She doesn't complain about it any more, either. Just recently, she even tried to "rescue" a fish from my overflow while I was out of town -- and almost flooded the basement because she didn't understand the purpose of the overflow U-tubes. I think that incident cured her of going beyond the script in the future.

So, my wife doesn't support the hobby and would be extremely happy if I sold my reef setup for $1000 and spent it all on a new Gibson acoustic guitar I looked at over Thanksgiving (asked and answered). One of these days I might do that, too -- but not in the near future.

awcurl
12/16/2005, 03:05 PM
It's good to see that most all of us has the support of our spouse. I know that without my wife's encouragement and support I wouldn't experience near the amount enjoyment that I do.

Thanks to all that participated.

:beer: