PDA

View Full Version : Is Striped Mandarin ok with Rose Anemone?

guyguerra
12/12/2005, 04:17 PM
I've had a rose anemone for several months. I just bought a striped mandarin, and after I bought it I read that they shouldn't be kept with anamones (I did my research, I just didn't see this particular statement). I bought both from the same store, (I only use one LFS and they are friends of mine and know my tank well), so I called them today and they feel there should be no problem. They said carpet anamones would be a risk, that a rose anemone isn't as fast. The anamone is on the very top of my rock structure in a very high flow spot of the tank, about 10" away from a 1" return. It doesn't seem like this is an area that the mandarin would go to. The LFS also said that rose anamones aren't as agressive as carpets. They would be willing to take the anemone back if I wanted to, but I like him a lot. I would like to know the experiances of anyone that has had both of these in a tank. Please don't advise me unless you have experiance as I see it would be easy to pounce on me for this, and I don't want to be bashed. If you have experiance, weather it be rose anemones and any fish that is slow, like hawkfisk or others, please let me know how it is going (or went).
Heres a picture of my tank. It's 7 feet long and the anemone is in the top left rear corner. There is so much other space that the manadrin would like that it seems he wouldn't go up there. Worst case scenario is that if he does go up there, is the rose anemone quick enough to get him? Do these fish have any fear of anemones? Do you think he would go up there, considering the high flow and the 200 lbs of LR he can hang out in instead? Also, the tank is 26" deep, and the anemone is 19" above the sand bed.
Thanks, Guy http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/80647EntireTank.jpg

MCary
12/12/2005, 04:28 PM
I think Mandarin should be okay with a RBTA. He'd be lunch for a carpe though. I have GBTA and my mandarin stays away from it. My clowns would mess him up if he got too close anyway.

guyguerra
12/12/2005, 04:39 PM
MCary, thanks for your input. How long have yours been together? has the mandarin ever gotten close to it? I wish my clowns would bond with the anemone, but they haven't yet. I've been told it could take up to six months. Mine were domestically bread.

DrBDC
12/12/2005, 04:41 PM
I've never heard of that. I've always had both and never a problem. Every tank I've ever known that had a mandarin also had anemone's. Theoretically I guess it could hang out on top and get eaten but I've never heard of it.

MCary
12/12/2005, 04:47 PM
It took my clowns 3 days to use the BTA.

guyguerra
12/12/2005, 04:48 PM
You guy's are making me feel better, I really didn't want to have to give up either of them. They are the favorites of my tank (until I get my next favorite. LOL) Thanks

Agro
12/12/2005, 05:43 PM
I haven't had a problem with my mandarin and BTA. Stupid clown on the other hand still uses the flower pot instead of the anemone.

bearpeidog
12/12/2005, 11:04 PM
Off topic - but I love the tank. Nice variety and some nice rock. 7 Feet - holy tank man!

guyguerra
12/13/2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks bearpeidog, I appreciate the encouragement. I just installed metal halides so I'm starting to add a lot of SPS's. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks in 6 months. Some of the tanks on this site make mine look juvenile, but I really enjoy working on it and looking at it.
This is the third day of my mandarin being in the tank. He's not like the other fish at all. he has no fear, and cruises all over the tank, comes right up to the glass and looks at me, and isn't shy or skiddish in his new surroundings at all. Here's a picture I took tonight, he just stayed right out in front and let me take as many pictures as I wanted too. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/80647Woodstock.jpg

Unlikely_Hero
12/13/2005, 02:02 AM
Sadly enough, I've gone through three BTA's. I've kept a few blue striped gobies (tiny little things) with them and they got too close once, but darted away as soon as they made contact. Same goes for my firefish (R.I.P.) and my damsel (good riddance) that got stung. The BTA didn't recoil at all, so I would assume that unless it's extremely hungry and the mandarin's really sickly (which it doesn't appear to be), you won't have any problems. After your clownfish host it, they should keep it away anyways.

Sidenote: it took an entire week for my clown to host my first BTA. The other two only took a few hours, I'm guessing because he'd already figured out what they were.

And with 7 feet of tank to choose from, I really wouldn't worry about him being in that 5 inches or so that high in the tank. Which is incredible, by the way. So much more pristine looking than what I'm used to.

locito277
12/15/2005, 01:13 PM
I Currently have a royal and a psychadelic mandarin as well as a lg white carpet anemone,A Rose anemone and a few flower anemones. with no problems thus far.:bum:

boxer85
12/15/2005, 01:20 PM
the problem is with the "slime" the mandarin produces.

other fish get stung, and swim away, a bit shocked. from what i can tell the mandarin produces a slime on its body that seemingly conducts the sting of the anemone to its entire body. i've had a VERY large condylactus anemone in with a mandarin for over a year, and it did get stung once. the mandarin quickly sank to the bottom of the tank, and stayed there motionless for the better part of an hour. fortunately the anemone was high enough in the tank that it didn't reach the bottom. eventually the mandarin started moving again, but it took a few days before he was back to swimming throughout the tank, and he definetely avoided the area where the anemone was.

with the location of the rose, the large tank, and the eventual clownfish hosting, i would be ok w/ putting a mandarin in that tank

guyguerra
12/15/2005, 07:48 PM
Boxer, I like your optimism on "eventual clownfish hosting", but I don't think mine are ever going to get it. They hang out every where, except around the anemone. I'll keep hoping though.

boxer85
12/16/2005, 01:07 PM
you could always try and place one of those lettuce clips shaped like a clownfish by the rose, hoping to attract the other clowns to it....