PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an ingredient for Erics recipe

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 01:17 AM
Artemia - adult
Artemia nauplii (baby brine shrimp) (enriched, if possible)

I am trying to find some place online that will ship. I find very little to no info on artemia nauplii.

Most everything else I have on order. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SeanT
12/12/2005, 01:40 AM
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/

hth,
Sean

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 02:13 AM
I looked there but you have to buy five 1lb flats....who is going to use that much brine? I would probably use 1/4 lb a year!

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 02:14 AM
That and I didn't see any of the Artemia nauplii offered. Nevermind that the recipe calls for them to be enriched.....it's like a darn treasure hunt.

sihaya
12/12/2005, 03:17 AM
You don't have a Petsmart up there or anything? They're at almost every petstore.

MCsaxmaster
12/12/2005, 03:39 AM
I would think you could find them at most pet stores (usually sold as "baby brine shrimp"--a nauplius is a particular larval form which Artemia exhibit...sort of like saying "caterpiller"). If not, somebody should be able to order them for you. Cyclopeeze would be a good alternative I think. It's bigger but more nutritious too.

Chris

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will check out Petsmart today.

EricHugo
12/12/2005, 01:29 PM
you can raise them yourself...live foods are better anyway in most cases

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 02:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6269362#post6269362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EricHugo
you can raise them yourself...live foods are better anyway in most cases

Is that to say that they are better mixed live then mixed frozen? This was just an ingredient for your recipe so what difference does it make whether they are alive or dead?

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 02:20 PM
While we are on the subject of the ingredients. I have all but given up on the flying fish roe and sea urchin roe. Eric, where were you getting this stuff from? I don't see it available anywhere. Is there something specific about the flying fish roe that you like as opposed to some other type of fish roe? I was going to try the only asian grocer in Spokane today but in all likelihood they probably wont have it.

Okay darn it. There is something else that is bugging me too. When talking about seaweed what comes to mind is the seaweed selects readily available at most lfs. They have done an outstanding job at marketing a small package of seaweed for $6. Thing is, Walmart has nori for about $1.50 but it says toasted on the package. My tangs love it but has it lost the vitamin value? No preservatives but the toasted thing has me wondering. It's also worth mentioning that it is not listed in your ingredients on the website but I believe you do list in in your book. Since this recipe is for primarily sps, I am going to assume that I can skip the algae altogether as it pertains to coral food.

sihaya
12/12/2005, 03:06 PM
If you want to raise them yourself I'd recommend the hatching disk from brineshrimpdirect.com. That's what I use and it's amazing. It takes so much of the hassle out of separating egg shells and naupli... and it works really fast. I swear I start getting naupli after as little as 18 hours.

Here's a link to it:
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/store.cfm?d=3249&c=5279&p=27377&do=detail

And about where to get this stuff in general... do you have a Whole Foods over there? or a Wild Oats? A lot of these trendy new-age grocery stores have wierd stuff like this. And they also sell spirulina power for $20 (but you can get it at BS direct for about $5 ;) )

EricHugo
12/12/2005, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I left it out of the coral food, but I do add it to my mix for fish food, which is basically the same recipe minus the large chunky things, and things that corals don't eat. I get Nori and flying fish roe at Asian markets - sometimes, I can get whole fresh fsh roe there, too - other fish roe available at asian markets tends to be salmon roe which is HUGE and then ther's caviar which is often unethical and also a little expensive as a coral chow - even when its not from Beluga whales. Its not an essential ingredient, just something else I think is good to add. On the Nori, I always get my seaweeds at Asian markets - I get green and red Nori, Dulse, Kombuchi, Hijiki, and anything else that looks good. Dulse, in particularly, is well-loved byf ish and is high in iodine.

sihaya
12/12/2005, 04:20 PM
So I looked up "roe" and "caviar" in the dictionary... but I'm still not sure how they are different. The dictionary describes both as "eggs of a fish." What am I missing?

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 04:47 PM
Well, got to the Asian grocer. Actually it was a small Vietnamese market with no fresh meat at all. They showed me some fish roe but the package contained words like, "seasoned", and FD&C yellow, etc so I passed on that. They had lots of different fish but it was all frozen. When asking about the seaweed, they showed me about 10 different packages. Problem was, I couldn't read most of them. No red's or browns or even green. Only what appears to be black. I bought it for a $1.19. Here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/johnnstacy/sw.jpg

Not sure whether to try it or not. I really suffer out here in Washington. A real lack of population diversity so I'm very limited. Coming from Garden Grove, CA where I used to live, every block had an Asian market. Oh well.

I did also visit the health food store. I found spirulina but I never saw anyone mention that as an ingredient so I passed on it. I did find the Eucenecia (sp) but they had it in liquid and capsule. Wasn't sure which to get. Didn't find that Aqua Greens brand either. Many of those green supplements contained things like barley and stuff that you don't typically find in the ocean......sigh....so I passed on all of it on this trip. Maybe I can find something cheaper online.

johnnstacy
12/12/2005, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6270009#post6270009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sihaya
And they also sell spirulina power for $20 (but you can get it at BS direct for about $5 ;) )

What is BS direct?

MiddletonMark
12/12/2005, 05:18 PM
Brine Shrimp direct, the linked source above :)

Or, asking me a question via PM :lmao:

EricHugo
12/13/2005, 09:03 AM
Or, you can order all these various algae online. The algae you got is probably fine. Good idea passing on the tinted and additive-laden roe.

Sihaya - that's pretty funny - because no one would pay $150 per portion of ripped-out fish ovaries, roe, or anything without so fine a name as caviar. It's like veal - anemic dead baby cow; beef, mutton, sweetbreads, tripe, bacon, ham, pork. Our world is full of words to make us NOT think about what we are actually eating.

ZooGirl
01/11/2006, 06:23 AM
Sihaya, there is a difference between caviar and roe. Roe is unprepared fish eggs. Caviar is fish eggs that are prepared by first removing the roe from a live female Sturgeon, then separating the eggs from the egg sack and pushing it through a screen by hand to further remove the tissue holding the eggs together. Finally the eggs are salted, mixed by hand, drained, then packaged.

Beluga actually refers to the Beluga Sturgeon from which Beluga Caviar comes from. Sturgeon is this huge prehistoric looking fish from the Caspian Sea. There is also Osetra and Sevruga Sturgeon whose caviar is coveted. They recently banned import on Beluga Caviar because the Sturgeon is endangered. :(

Heh, geez I guess I know a lot about fish eggs! Now I'm hungry. :p