PDA

View Full Version : feather duster worm shedding?

jpslickorocks
12/10/2005, 11:02 PM
is it normal for feather duster worms to shed there shells? Will he grow another? I just buried him in the sand and am hoping for the best.

evolust
12/10/2005, 11:22 PM
Shells? They shead their feather heads when stressed, they do grow back sometimes. If you mean their tube he is most likly dead. I dont know what shell your talking about.

Satori
12/10/2005, 11:56 PM
Mine have dropped thier crown and grown back. I've heard of them bailing out of thier tube if they're unhappy. From what I've read, they'll grow a new tube if they end up someplace they like, otherwise they'll just die.

aztbs
12/11/2005, 12:04 AM
I accidentally pulled the tube off of one once. I was going to relocate it and I didn't realize it had already grabbed on to the rock. I went to pick it up and the whole tube slipped off the end. It grew another one in about a week.
They will leave the tube under duress. I think they do better in rock crevices. Hope he survives.

grenaria
12/11/2005, 12:55 AM
I bought a bright green one. After a few months it left it's tube, and then after 2 weeks I found where he had gone. A while later I noticed there was still a worm in the first tube. Now the second tube has 2 that sometimes both come out at the same time, and the first tube has been evacuated again. I never found that worm, but have some hope left.

The tube that they left had become pretty damged from hermit crabs picking at it, and it is completly evacuated.

I figure the first one reproduced asexually and the new worm ditched the damaged and crowded first tube. Then that one reproduced again and is still sharing the tube.

Reef22
12/11/2005, 01:39 AM
Jeremy,

Is the worm still moving or just lay there?

TONY

jpslickorocks
12/11/2005, 01:10 PM
Yes he is still moving and this morning he looks as though he has started to make a new tube. As soon as I can get good photos of my tank I will post a few. He has a really cool pink crown and I have never seen another lilke him. I would be bummed if he dies.

Jeremy

Reef22
12/11/2005, 10:38 PM
Well, if he is still moving then he might be able to recover. Good luck.

TONY