PDA

View Full Version : Awesome DIY Algae Scraper!

jcm1229
12/08/2005, 10:51 AM
Just wanted to let everyone in the CMAS realm know about a great DIY product that Rich from the New Jersey Reefers has been making. I've gotten a couple from him and I must say it is AWESOME.

Basically its an acrylic panel with a razor blade attachment that you glue on to a Mag Float and it turns it into a razor scraper. There's even plastic blades for acrylic tanks.

You can see the full RC thread here:

DIY Algae Scraper (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680529)

After I got mine, I glued it with some super glue. 45 minutes later I took it to my 37g. I had the front glass cleaned in about 5 minutes. This included the caked on stuff around the edges and the sandbed and 3-4 weeks of spotty coralline. It all came off with no effort at all.

Then I got carried away. I hit the side glass (that has been covered in coralline and hasn't been touched in 3 years). Took a little more effort, but it came off with ease.

Definitely a GREAT tool!!

I'll bring one to the SWAP meet, not to sell, but for anyone who wants to look at it.

John

ostrow
12/08/2005, 10:58 AM
I've look at that. My concern is, when you get to the corners, won't it rip the heck out of the silicone????

jcm1229
12/08/2005, 12:04 PM
What I did was exert extra care and go slow and up and down and leave maybe a 1/4 inch of corraline there. Looks a lot better than the inch of stuff I had there before.

John

Highlander
12/08/2005, 12:19 PM
This is basicaly a copy of the Ocean Motions scraper, they work great. :thumbsup:

http://www.oceansmotions.com/magscraperx.jpg

RichT
12/08/2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words John.
Just approach the silicon perpendicularly. You can clean right up to and under the silicon a tiny bit. JUST BE CAREFULL. Once you get the initial cleanup done, switch over the the plastic blade for worry free scraping near the seal.

The only similarity between the ReefGadget and the Ocean Motions is they are both glue on scrapers. Mine is half the price, and only adds about 1/4" inch of height to your magnet which makes it easier to fit into the tight spots. The Ocean Motions definitely is a fine product, just a bit over engineered, expensive, and adds way to much height to be useful, in my tank anyway.

Thanks again John

TheCoralReef731
12/08/2005, 11:04 PM
Highlander - where did you get that and how much $$$?
RichT - anyway of shipping a bunch out here for less. I am sure lot's of people are interested.

RichT
12/09/2005, 12:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6245272#post6245272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichT
The Ocean Motions definitely is a fine product,

But........, from what I have read that was posted on RC, the OM attachment causes the Mag Float to sink. The Mag Floats will still float as quickly as usual with the ReefGadget attached. Just an FYI.

Highlander
12/09/2005, 01:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6248196#post6248196 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheCoralReef731
Highlander - where did you get that and how much $$$?

http://www.oceansmotions.com