PDA

View Full Version : pump return rate

Theo
03/19/2002, 04:30 PM
Will a pump rated at 1100 gph be enough turn over for a 100 gal tank? that 10 times an hour. Is this enough?

wickerj
03/19/2002, 04:37 PM
Is this your return pump from your sump or will you be running it on a closed loop.
You didn't take into consideration head pressure.

Jeff

mastaJ
03/19/2002, 04:46 PM
Enough current for what? What do you want to keep?

hesaias
03/19/2002, 05:12 PM
Im gonna use an 1800 gph pump on my 58 gallon. 10X is a rule of thumb, kinda a minimum number. You need to take head and friction loss, as well as what you wanna keep into mind. Im prolly not gonna wind up with 1800 gph, but I figure over capable is better than under capable.
Here is a link with some useful tables to help you calculate head/friction los for your plumbing.

http://www.valler.com/fish/tips.html

You can get a Pump curve/ flow rate chart from your pump manufacturer to tell you the capacity of your pump at a given head level
HTH

Theo
03/19/2002, 05:14 PM
Sorry, its my return pump from my sump under the cabunet. I think the turn over would be ok. I'm just trying to decide how much in the way of power heads I should incorporate

Aquamans Reef
03/19/2002, 05:25 PM
That will be enough. Joe

Theo
03/19/2002, 06:22 PM
Thank you, thank you for that simple answer. I don't mean to critisize but so many people get into the mechanics and gadgets of this hobby. I realize the importance of knowing what your dealing with equipment wise but I really want to just enjoy my fish and coral. Thus the question, will it do the job or not......thanks again

mastaJ
03/19/2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Morning Sun
Thus the question, will it do the job or not......thanks again
Of course it will work. You kind of left your question open.
For example, I thought that you were asking if it is enough current. Enough current for what? I assumed you knew that it would work.
If you are planning on using powerheads anyway, who cares about the return pump. It can even be less so you have less bubbles in your sump or you can make a refuge area, etc. HTH...