PDA

View Full Version : Fish in movies and TV

Steve_B
12/07/2005, 07:01 PM
I was watching one of MY NYPD Blue DVDs today. Andy periodically refers to his being the hobby. He always refers to his fish as saltwater tropicals, as he holds out his chest, brimming with pride. Is that as opposed to cold-water saltwater fish?

Yea, we all need to make that distinction, because so many people keep cold-water saltwater fish.

Once and a while they will show his tank, which is about a 29 gal. at most, with maybe a few damsels and a yellow tang.
At some point his girlfriend stops at the LFS and gives Andy a Maroon clown. Andy acted really upset because he says, “you can’t just add a fish to the delicate balanced eco-system.� Yea, a damsel may get upset, or the delicate 20GPH hang on back biofilter well be thrown off.

Anyway, I have been watching the entire seasons on DVD, and the fish thing keeps coming up.

Does anybody remember fish (not wild ones in the ocean or a lake) references, or showing a fish tank repeatedly in a movie or TV show?

At least 2 others come to mind for me right now.

Scarlett
12/07/2005, 07:56 PM
Deuce Bigalow is the first movie that pops into my head. The emotional impact of a 'busted fishtank' didn't seem all that big a deal to me the first time we saw the movie. Of course, we weren't into the hobby at that point. After maticulously establishing a tank, living through the trauma of close calls (not plugging the fresh water top-off back into the proper outlet controlled by the float switch, thereby allowing fresh water to continuously flood the tank; replacing the pH prob back into the tank pushing down the float switch to the top off, again, flooding the tank, and the room, with fresh water; etc) watching that movie again really made me think just how devastating it would be to have something happen to it.

"No, not those snails. The ones all the way at the bottom."

Steve_B
12/07/2005, 09:33 PM
OK here is another one. Captain Paccard of Star trek NG had a round bubble tank with bleached white coral in his living quarters.

BTTRFLYGRL
12/07/2005, 09:37 PM
One of the Lethal weapons movies has Mel shooting a huge tank and fish going everywhere..

Steve_B
12/08/2005, 12:07 AM
Naked gun. Lesley Neilson(sp?) accidentally drops his pen into the saltwater tank and it spears some supposedly extremely expensive fish.

Steve_B
12/08/2005, 10:01 AM
The Rainmaker

Matt Damon
Danny DeVito
Mickey Rourke

Their shyster boss has a huge shark tank behind his desk.

BTW, Star Treck TNG, I spelled Jean-Luc Picard wrong.

Steve_B
12/08/2005, 10:08 AM
wont anybody else play?:(

ediaz
12/08/2005, 10:36 AM
The little guy named Arnold, a sitcom, forgot the name, he had a black moor goldfish he talked to.

Elmo has goldfish

Can't beleive nobody mentioned nemo

Scarlett
12/08/2005, 10:48 AM
Nemo doesn't count. He's wild and in the ocean.

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. The older, posh guy he first investigated had a pretty display.

Elmo's goldfish is named Dorothy. :)

ediaz
12/08/2005, 10:54 AM
There were fish in a aquarium in nemo...

Angel*Fish
12/08/2005, 10:58 AM
In the sequel to 2001, 2010 there was a home with a huge tank that housed dolphins -- it was sunken & connected to the outside

Scarlett
12/08/2005, 10:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6243443#post6243443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ediaz
There were fish in a aquarium in nemo...

Duh! You'd think I hadn't seen it about a million times! My bad. ;)

kelpy
12/08/2005, 11:02 AM
How about a fish called Wanda.
And there was the episode of Medical Investigation where the fish tank was the cause of all the deaths

masson
12/08/2005, 11:32 AM
ace ventura :)

kfisc
12/08/2005, 11:39 AM
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, a wonderful day....when Fred Rogers passed on, his set made the rounds of children's museums, and came to Indianapolis. A friend of my little brother's operates a really good LFS, gets lots of calls- including the set up and maintainence of Mr. Rogers' goldfish tank when it arrived. Some of the goldfish needed, um, rescuing, due to the conditions they were in. My little brother now has one of Mr. Rogers' goldfish in a freshwater tank on his kitchen counter.

Also: didn't the Batman TV show have a tank? ER had a tank for awhile...

daFrimpster
12/08/2005, 11:55 AM
From the first episode, Willis and Arnold had just arrived at Mr. Drummond's apartment. Arnold was holding Abraham in his bowl. The scene went like this

Arnold: My pet goldfish, I call him Abraham

Drummond: I have never seen a black goldfish before.

Arnold: That's okay, he's never seen a rich white man before either.

rustyf88
12/08/2005, 01:10 PM
Everyone has forgot, "What about Bob?" with Bill Murray. Does anyone remember the goldfish that he hung from his neck in a canning jar. Gill was the fishes name! Great movie!

donfishy76
12/08/2005, 05:27 PM
there was one episode of Everybody loves Raymond where he bought his dad a saltwater fish tank for his birthday. I think it was in like 1 scene, and I am sure it took longer to set the tank up than it did to shoot the scene. What a gift, it came complete with fish and everything; like a 55 with about 3-4 large angels and a whole bunch of other crowded fish too.

IDIOTS!!!

As for the ST:TNG, the captain's fishtank, had a lionfish in it. Maybe two, not sure, ...

Steve_B
12/08/2005, 05:34 PM
The Last Boyscout

Bruce willis shoots out the football team owners giant tank.
At least that's how I remember it.:confused:

Steve_B
12/08/2005, 05:38 PM
That TV home remodeling show that had a saltwater tank as a divider between the rooms. I think the homeowner was a member here. I believe she knew nothing about marine tanks and was using a service for maintenance.

I tink she had da saltwater tropicals over by dare

Gwoardnog
12/08/2005, 05:41 PM
^^^Monster Home? They did one like that.

Snakebyt
12/08/2005, 06:11 PM
Nip/Tuck.. they have a tank behind there desk

Steve_B
12/08/2005, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6245949#post6245949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gordo663
^^^Monster Home? They did one like that.

Yup, I think that was the one. Now that I was thinking about it, I had some correspondence with her here. As I recall the show had paid a maintainance service to handle it for a certain number of months. She was trying to learn how to take care of it, because I think the maintainance costs would end up being too high.
She may have said they would have to get rid of it if they couldn't take care of it themselves.
That really was a stupid thing to give somebody that knows nothing about caring for the fish.

She could have had Andy Sipowitz come over and show her how to keep saltwater tropicals.:lol: