PDA

View Full Version : Help--Hippo Tang Eye Looks Funny

OSURanger
10/09/2000, 06:49 PM
I came home from a week-end long vacation and found my 65 in generally good shape. I had to arrange the liverock, as it had become unstable. Surely, this scared the little guy a bit (2" hippo tang). Lights were out when I was done. I get home from work today, and he has a glassy eye. Looks like its got a clear glassy coat to it. And has a small white spot on it. No other abnormalities. He is swimming and eating well. But it concerns me. What is this? Did he scrape his eye and hurt himself? Is this ICH or some other disease? Please help!

Tank Overview: 65 gallon, all tank water parameters look good (pH=8.3, amm=0, phos=0, nitrite and nitrate look good, Alk=9dkH). Other fish: Sm. Juv. Imp Angel, 2 oscellaris clowns, 1 6 line, 1 flame hawk--all look good.

HELP HELP! Thanks in advance.

billsreef
10/10/2000, 10:07 AM
Odd's are he scraped his eye and it got infected. Watch it closely, if he is in generally good shape the infection might clear up on it's own. However if the infection shows the least amount of progression you will need to place your hippo in a Q tank and treat with a good antibiotic such as Maracyn II or nitrofuran.

Cracked Fish Man
10/10/2000, 11:10 AM
Just a thought:

Do you soak your food in Marine Zoe? Vitimins do wonders. I had problems with my hippo:LLD and puffy eye like yours. Since I started using ZOE, His LLD has actually receeded. All other fish are doing great. Try it if your not using it.

CFM