PDA

View Full Version : Pump Question / Plumbing

zt444a
12/05/2005, 03:19 PM
I have a question before I get everything set up on this Oceanic RR.

It has the usual 1" bulkhead fitting for drain and a 3/4" for return. I have a Mag 7 for a return pump.

My questions are these: Should I use 1" for the drain? It is going pretty much straight down into my sump/fuge. Or should I go with an adapter and enlarge the drain pipe before and after the bulkhead fitting to 1&1/4" or larger?

Would anyone recommend using a Durso standpipe, or is there something else I can do just as well? I am a bit worried about noise, but I can live with some.

Thanks,

Howard DeBord :D

Sloth
12/05/2005, 03:30 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe attaching a larger pipe to a bulkhead will allow it to handle more flow. You'll need an additional overflow if you want to handle more flow.

I personally don't believe the durso's do anything other than allow air to move down through the drain pipe to prevent burping/flushing/noise. You can also allow air to move through the pipe by putting a few small holes near the discharge end of the drain line (if the end of the line is submerged). There's pictures of mine somewhere in my gallery.

DrBDC
12/05/2005, 03:33 PM
Durso's are quick and very easy. 1" is a fine drain for a mag 7 and even most of the time with a mag 9. It will flow about 600 gph and by the time you calculate head etc. in the mag 7 you are probably only around 500 or maybe less. Make a snail guard on the durso, you WILL need it.

On the 3/4" return I'd leave a spot you could cut in the future under the tank (like a 1" piece clear of bends and elbows ) and don't glue where the pipe meets it in the overflow (on the inside tank side). The thinking on this is that if in the future you decided to use both for drains and plumb the return over the back, then you can get it apart. Just snug it in real good.

Bushong87
12/05/2005, 03:33 PM
i say use the durso standpipe, it definitely makes a difference, my first sump was straight down and it was a very noticable noise, but now that i have the durso on its much quieter

zt444a
12/05/2005, 03:44 PM
Sloth, I wasn't so much worried about a flushing sound as I was the sound water would make spilling over and falling several inches. The Durso seems to negate this problem as well as the flushing that can occur.

I learn so much from just reading what goes on in here, it sometimes suprises me when I have something to post.

Thanks so much for the quick input. Durso has some great do it yourself instructions on his website.

The standpipe is a piece of cake, but what would you recommend for a "snail guard" Roy?

chadscamaro
12/05/2005, 03:58 PM
for snail guard you can use egg crate or plastic gutter guard !!

DrBDC
12/05/2005, 03:58 PM
On my fw rr tank I just extended the pipe down about 6 inches and drilled a ton of holes all over it and a cap on the bottom. I must have 20 or 30 1/4" holes. You have to make sure that that the holes aren't a bottleneck to the flow, then double the numbers.

chadscamaro
12/05/2005, 04:03 PM
On my big tank, i took my table saw, and cut slits in my pipe, so water would flow threw there, reather than up and over the pipe .

zt444a
12/05/2005, 04:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6224674#post6224674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chadscamaro
On my big tank, i took my table saw, and cut slits in my pipe, so water would flow threw there, reather than up and over the pipe .

I saw someone, or something someplace that said someone had done similar, i.e. the slits in the pipe. They could not keep the overflow very full, only the last several inches, so the water still made quite a bit of noise spilling over.

Why do you think that would happen?

chadscamaro
12/05/2005, 04:44 PM
I think you are going to have some noise no matter what, due to the water is falling down a chamber. But some of my pumps are so loud I cant here the water anyway !!:D