PDA

View Full Version : knoxville LFS's

Chris_Campbell
12/05/2005, 12:06 PM
Being new to the area.. can you guys give me a run down on the knoxville LFS's? Which do you guys recommend for what, etc...

My next purchase is some type of cleanup crew.. Pretty much snails. I have no interest in Hermits actually, although I wouldnt mind a emerald crab or 3..

EvilMel
12/05/2005, 12:13 PM
Hey Chris, sorry I haven't responded to your PM yet.

There are two LFS around town, each of which has their strong points.

There's the Coral Reef on kingston pike at the top of beardon hill. They have a nice selection of corals and clams. Then there's the Aquarium on papermill drive, which, last time I checked, had a bit cheaper prices on fish (though not necessarily as good of a selection of fish as the CR).

Hope this helps (and doesn't offend anyone).

LeftCoast
12/05/2005, 08:18 PM
In my opinion, the fish at the Aquarium can be a little sketchy. I bought a Scopas tang and it appears to be wary of any movement and will go shooting to its hiding spot. I don't know if this is because of collection methods, original housing or countless kids tapping the glass.

cee
12/05/2005, 08:39 PM
Then again, not.

Dave

Fishboy42
12/05/2005, 10:02 PM
Heh, Dave, I know the feeling. This can be a sensitive subject and we don't want to step on any toes here...

There are a few area LFS that carry Inverts, coral, fish, and supplies-- of course they are all different, have different setups, practices, people, etc.

"Active Pets" on Chapman Highway
"Aquarium" on Papermill Drive
"Coral Reef" on Kingston Pike

My advice would be to simply take some time and pay them all a visit. Take a look at the livestock and inventory, talk to the employees, and then make your decisions, remembering that mail-order isn't always a bad idea (I joke, I joke!).

As for me? Although we all frequent different places and I don't want to influence anyone, CR may-as-well paint me a parking spot, while you might get kicked out for knowing me at the other two...

cee
12/05/2005, 10:26 PM
Hey, I'm a Sagittarius, and I started to write a long tome about this subject but thought better of it. In addition, you should speak to people in private, learn as much as you can from others, and then do the visits. It's tough for a person who's new to SW to assess a LFS or its employees, but it's equally difficult to know who to trust in a new town. But I've not met anyone in ETRC who doesn't honestly want to help a fellow hobbyist first and foremost, so start there.

Dave

RCS
12/05/2005, 10:59 PM
Dave/Matt: couldn't have said it better myself.

Remember that two people can have completely opposite opinions of the exact same place.

All in all, I don't think anyone at any LFS is out to "get you", so to speak. A lot of time it's simply a matter of patience and determining on your own what constitues a healthy specimen and what will work in your tank.

Feel free to Pm any of us to ask any questions, I know I'm more than willing to answer them and provide what help I can.

Sometimes, it depends on who you talk to at the stores as well...not all fish store employees are created equal. :D

RCS
12/05/2005, 11:06 PM
Hmmm...Matt, there's a "handicapped parking spot" joke there somewhere, but I'm going to leave it alone. :lol:

I'll say I've had good results with purchases from both the Coral Reef and the Aquarium...though the corals at the Aquarium may be questionable, while a couple of the guys working at the Reef may be questionable (<-that's completely tongue-in-cheek and directed at Chris and Mike :p ). I have found there's a couple knowedgeable guys working at the Aquarium as well, but they're generally pretty busy.

Active Pets...well, I'll let you visit and make your own determination. There are some other places within a reasonable driving distance as well: Michael's Aquatic Den in Cleveland, Under the Sea in Bristol...and Atlanta has some nice shops...all depends what you define "reasonable" as. :D

Fishboy42
12/05/2005, 11:21 PM
Definitely well-said Dave & Fred.
Heh, thanks for holding off Fred, but since we've gone there, OK, here's what I was thinking about:
http://photos12.flickr.com/18994263_2eabdd1983_m.jpg

Fishboy42
12/05/2005, 11:23 PM
Oh, and BTW, since we are talking shops, does Under the Sea in Bristol have fish?? Can you describe the shop? (I think you guys had a meeting there that I missed)

EvilMel
12/06/2005, 08:41 AM
It's a pretty cool place. You should definately check it out. Matt you can also see some of their corals online. They have a website and send out mailers to the reef club sometimes. Basically they have a big holding tank for corals kinda like one of those big vats that Art got from Joe, except it's bigger. They put the corals in there and shine MH lights directly onto them, so some of the coral colors are pretty neat.

They have some neat corals and I believe they have fish too.

Chris_Campbell
12/06/2005, 11:21 AM
Doh, I didn't mean to start anything or offend. My purpose I guess was to see if there was any shops to avoid. I've ran across shops before that where nothing but pitiful. Employees that could care less, dry goods that was well laughable, and a store that had shelves covered with dust.. which covered merchandise thats been there since the 80's. ( its in Michigan )

That, and some prefer to stock a wider variety of things then others. Some concentrate on inverts, fish, or dry goods.. is all i pretty much was trying to get a feel for.

So I appologize if I got any feathers ruffled.. :p

EvilMel
12/06/2005, 11:41 AM
I don't think you ruffled anyone's feathers. They are talking more about trying not to p*ss off any of the LFS owners since they read the boards.

Generally the people in the reef club are exceedingly laid back with each other. There is always the occasional wierdo but most of the members are really great and not too easily offended. Plus most people recognise that it's not easy to convey a joke on here if you are being sarcastic (which I am regularly).

RCS
12/06/2005, 12:52 PM
There is always the occasional wierdo

Why Mel, whoever could you mean? :lol:

Give any of us a holler anytime you want to go LFS'ing...sometimes I'll just spend a few hours driving around, checking stuff out.

Fishboy42
12/06/2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks Mel for the info about Under the Sea, I may have to pay them a visit over Chrismas and check them out.

LFS'ing, hah! wierdo...

RCS
12/06/2005, 01:14 PM
CR may-as-well paint me a parking spot

At least I try to broaden my horizons! :p

ReefRacer
12/06/2005, 02:54 PM
I got my RBTA from Harry's in Oak Ridge. The saltwater selection is limited but he has a reef tank with DSB and Plenum. I saw the RBTA and came back a week later and he still had it so I asked him to feed it, and when it ate I bought it. I think the key is to research what you want to buy so you know what to look for and have the store hold it for a while so you know if it is healthy before you buy it. I bought a BTA from a local store that had no stinging cells because no food would stick to the tentacles and it died even though I tried to feed it. My new one is hungry all the time and can catch a silverside with the tip of one tentacle. BTW I heard if you don't know who the weirdo is it might be you. Mike

RCS
12/06/2005, 03:54 PM
Mike, I didn't even know there was a place up in Oak Ridge...I'll have to check it out.

I have a specific weirdo in mind. Not naming names, but I know it's not me...and he is "locally famous", if you recall...

LeftCoast
12/06/2005, 06:18 PM
I have a guess. :)

imsqueak
12/06/2005, 07:05 PM
There's also a Pet Mart (not the big chain Pets Mart, but I think they are a chain none the less) on Clinton Hwy in the Target/Kroger shopping center. They have a very limited SW selection and some stuff is pretty pricey but they will price match against LFS on same UPC (drygoods). I needed a powerhead and didnt want to drive out to CR or Aquarium so I called one of them and it was like $30 vs the $45 PM wanted. They matched the price or I'd have made the drive...

I've been to Harry's. It was "one of the stupidest things you ever did in the hobby" situation. I bought 4-5 little LRs at like $10-$12/lb when I converted my 55 to SW. I think it was about 8 lbs. Doink! Slap! Shake it off... Well, that was before I found RC. Thankfully I found +300lbs for like $1.50/lb on the MTRC board when I started my 300.

awcurl
12/06/2005, 07:07 PM
Of the LFS in Knoxville, only one has supported the club since conception and is listed as a club sponsor and that is the Coral Reef. I've bought at the others but if I can I'll buy from them first if they are close in price. :bum:

cee
12/06/2005, 07:17 PM
Hey Art,
Where are they listed as a club sponsor?

awcurl
12/06/2005, 08:03 PM
The owner of the store Dennis Branch is listed as a club member on the same web page that lists you as a member and as the Vice President, now weather it’s up to date I have no idea. I may be mistaken as to their actual sponsorship since the web page doesn’t list club sponsors as of yet, but I do know that he has offered many times. From my personal experience I can personally attest to them sponsoring the club by being host for meetings, donating door prizes and inviting club members to sell items at their sidewalk sale. If I remember correctly he even bought one of your Seio power heads at the last sidewalk sale and is currently running it in his display tank. I believe in giving credit where it's due. We all know there are problems with all LFS's but at least they have done more than the others for the club. IMHO:bum: :beer:

cee
12/06/2005, 08:14 PM
I was just curious where it was recognized since I don't recall seeing it on the ETRC website. That's all, nothing else implied.

imsqueak
12/06/2005, 09:32 PM
See, we cant help ourselves... We knew it. Cant change the stripes on a Lion Fish. Not that any of it is intended in a bad way but it always ends up reading that way to an outsider. So now I have to put in my 2 cents.

Nah, I deleted it. :p Come to a meeting and chat with others. Best advice I can offer.

And, :beer: :beer: :bum:

reefstyle
12/07/2005, 04:14 PM
(Dennis Coral Reef )For starters. I hope you always have good and helpful time at our store.
If there is ever a problem or need need something matched in pricing I will try please pm me (reefstyle) The reason I am not a member on the web is time and a change in my life. My family is the biggest and most important thing in my life. My 2.5 yr old and girl friend keep me busy going to the zoo, aquarium in atlanta and the smokies and just playing in the park. Don't get me wrong I love my store and my hobby but I have alot of time to make up for in life. I am sorry to some of you if I have been on the otherside of the table. I was a different person then and my store sometime suffers because I am not there much but I thought I have always helpful and a friend to most. The main reason for the price issues are we buy more expensive fish(marshal flames vs indo) hand pick corals and a small airport(tys) to blame we add trace elements to your tanks daliy and feed the fish food with selcon or zoe. I will never be as low priced as online. My over head, employees, taxes ect....Most of you work for people the ones that are self employed understand. Not to bark but support local business (aquarium coral reef ect..) just buy local when there are not anymore pet stores around then everyone will say man I wish we had a store. Ask for a deal we will try. We have supported you guys by handing out club card telling about reefcentral and the forum. Sponsor of the club. Dave I had ask you to let me know how much it was going to be and I would give you a check no problem. If there are problems you must say something or we can't fix it. I am not trying to make anyone mad but everytime this comes up everyone says ooooonnnoo. Why can't it just be aquarium/coralreef ect.. and let them make there mind up. The store has been light because of cities on corals. Those of you who have been in the stock will change very soon for the good. I am ordering corals again and will continue to bring new items in every week. I will be a member again soon (I would like to have a meeting soon to show off my tank also) dennis . merry christmas guys

Runner
12/08/2005, 03:13 PM
Merry Christmas, Dennis. I figured your tank was about done when all those very nice corals that were tagged as "sold" throughout the store disappeared one week. :)

As for stores, I should probably add a page on our website that describes the locals and puts up a web link if they have one. That way, you guys can answer with a link instead of getting into discussions about them. :D

EvilMel
12/08/2005, 04:40 PM
Hey guys, I too wish that, like Dennis said, we could have this thread just be informative about each store and not exert our own opinions about it. I totally tried to do that in my original response so I wouldn't come off sounding like I was for or against any store, ya know?

Dennis has absolutely supported us in many ways (as opposed to another store) and I very grateful for that.

As far as prices online versus prices at a store: I am a firm believer in getting a good look at a fish before you buy it. There is nothing more valuable than actually getting to see your fish eat and look at its overall health prior to purchase. I'll totally pay extra for that and that's why I bought my big Naso tang, Priscilla, at the Coral Reef. But I never buy fish anymore because she has stresssed my bioload to the max, so it's kind of a moot point for me. hah hah.

Scott, maybe we could get the mods to put a "sticky" up in this forum about local fish stores rather than listing them all on the website. LFS who support the club are supposed to get advertising space on the board, not ones that don't. My point is that if all the stores are listed, then the ones that support us already, well...they really aren't getting that much out of it then, are they?

I'll PM the mods about it.

cee
12/10/2005, 01:30 PM
Wanted to thank Dennis and The Coral Reef for resolving a customer service issue I had from awhile back. It seems my previous communications were never received by Dennis. Once he was made aware of the situation, he remedied the situation to my satisfaction. Thanks again!

Dave

RCS
12/11/2005, 11:31 PM
Just as a little bit of a final note here, I took Chris to some of the local shops so he could check out first-hand what's to be expected from the various vendors in the area. I thought rather than the varied opinions and thoughts everyone has, there really is no replacement for a personal visit.

Along the way somehow I got suckered into buying this gigantic Montipora... :rolleyes:

Chris_Campbell
12/12/2005, 11:41 AM
hehe you werent suckered into it... I knew you would get it when I saw the drool start... and yup that was a good trip.