PDA

View Full Version : Sand rinsing quandary

DHyslop
12/03/2005, 03:18 PM
I've got a few bags of sand I need to rinse before adding to the new tank. Problem is I'm renting a place with a septic tank, and I think the landlord would be very upset if I were to introduce clastic material into it by washing in buckets in the bathtub. We have a little yard where we could conceivably do this, but we don't have a place to hook up a hose. I can't even think of a way to hook a hose up to one of our faucets and run it outside.

Any clever ideas?

Dan

Saltz Creep
12/03/2005, 03:34 PM
You can hook a garden hose to a faucet using a faucet adapter and a series of fittings ending in a garden hose fitting. You may be able to find them at Lowes or HD. BTW, why do you want to rinse sand in tap water? Or at even at all? Even fine sand dust will cling and settle down in time.

DHyslop
12/03/2005, 04:44 PM
I thought it was pretty much universally accepted that sand should be rinsed, because the silt and clay particles may take weeks to completely clear?

Dan

Carl_in_Florida
12/03/2005, 04:51 PM
Use a bucket outside with a hose and do it in stages.

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
12/03/2005, 04:51 PM
Just noticed that you are not in Florida like me. Is that impossible this time of year?

DHyslop
12/03/2005, 05:20 PM
I can do it outside, its just a matter of doing as Saltz suggests with a series of hose adapters. I don't think the water would be out there long enough to freeze.

Dan

Carl_in_Florida
12/03/2005, 05:24 PM
You don't have spigots on the side of the building? Why to you have to go from the sink?

areze
12/03/2005, 05:28 PM
it wont take weeks to settle, may take days, but itll be hours if you have any way to introduce a micron filter into the tank. also assisted if you put the sand in first and lay a bag on it when you add the water.

DHyslop
12/03/2005, 05:47 PM
The building is real old. Its an old hotel that was remodelled into apartments. If there are outside spigots, they're well hidden underneath the porches and would require me to tear off the landlord's trellis.

I think I'll try the garbage bag method. This is my replacement for the cracked tank, and I'm hoping to minimize the time my critters spend in buckets.

Dan

Carl_in_Florida
12/03/2005, 07:50 PM
Good luck and stay warm.

xdusty6920
12/04/2005, 12:38 AM
you dont have to rinse sand but if you dont youll have a huge amount of white foam on the surface reguardless of if you use the trashbag method or not. stick a polyfilter cut to size in the drain of your tub and do it in there........at least thats what id do