PDA

View Full Version : Salinity??

ste6168
12/02/2005, 07:59 PM
I just got back from my LFS and today i asked them what salinity they keep their tanks at and he said that the fish display tanks he keeps at 1.022 and he said the reef displays he keeps at 1.024? i have always read that most people keep there tank at like 1.025. Am I mistaken or does he keep them low for some reason?

Thanks, Mike

bertoni
12/02/2005, 08:05 PM
It's more old-style to keep the salinity low like that, IMO. That's the way tanks were kept until people understood saltwater organisms better. Also, the lower SG saves on salt.

Aquaticman74
12/02/2005, 08:36 PM
I keep my FO tanks at 1.020. I could care less about saving money on salt. I am keeping a Red Sea Emperor and Sailfin at that salinity with no problems for over 2 years. I like the fact that I don't have the parasite problems I had running my FO setups at 1.025. The reef I'm running at 1.025 though.

bertoni
12/02/2005, 08:59 PM
Yes, I guess that's another reason given to run at a lower SG. I'm skeptical that it makes much difference since so many people have reported ich problems at the lower SG as well.

Paintbug
12/02/2005, 09:03 PM
they run the fish displays that low to save money on salt as well. for the reefs i would imagine that it wouldnt be worth the risk of losing livestock to keep the SG low. IMO

marineaddict
12/02/2005, 09:05 PM
It's more old-style to keep the salinity low like that, IMO. That's the way tanks were kept until people understood saltwater organisms better. Also, the lower SG saves on salt.

I agree. I really think it is a "save money" thing. I also think that it is possible in some store that the help doesn't do as good of a job as they should watching the salinty levels.

Aquaticman74
12/02/2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by bertoni
Yes, I guess that's another reason given to run at a lower SG. I'm skeptical that it makes much difference since so many people have reported ich problems at the lower SG as well.

The first four years I ran at 1.025 and would get ich twice a year. It was strange because it happened every fall and spring. Since I lowered the salinity and run the tanks at a constant 80 degrees, I have only had one occurance. I'm sure it's been a lot of luck, but I'll swear by it for now. :lol:

Aquaticman74
12/02/2005, 09:09 PM
My buddy owns a LFS and he runs his salinity at 1.015. He does this for 2 reasons. First the fish aren't there long enough to have any long term ill effects and second it helps keep the parasites in check. I don't disagree that it saves money on salt, but it also just plain old makes sense.

silverarrow27
12/02/2005, 09:21 PM
Helps keep the parasites in check until unsuspecting customers buy them and then dies after a couple days. What a way to go...

mikeatjac
12/02/2005, 09:28 PM
Main reason is cost. Never run that low if you have a skimmer. Skimmers run better at higher SG levels.

Aquaticman74
12/02/2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by silverarrow27
Helps keep the parasites in check until unsuspecting customers buy them and then dies after a couple days. What a way to go...

He's been in business for 17 years... must be doing something right huh? People don't go back and buy from a merchant again if they aren't satisfied...

Aquaticman74
12/02/2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by mikeatjac
Main reason is cost. Never run that low if you have a skimmer. Skimmers run better at higher SG levels.

I agree completely which is why a reef should be at 1.025. But FO isn't necessary, because it isn't a necessity to skim.