PDA

View Full Version : is my tank good enough?

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 12:57 PM
hey everyone i want to start loading my tank with corals now and i was wondering if my tank is good enough to keep softies and LPS coral
with

250w mh, 96x2 power compact, and about 860 gph?

mystikdragon7
12/02/2005, 01:00 PM
Looks good to me. Go for it!!! What do you plan on gettting?

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 01:08 PM
i plan on some leathers, shrooms, colts, hammerheads, frogspawns, galaxias, a bubble, and some gonipora

are these good choices?

will i have any problems with any of my choices?

PiNaPLeX
12/02/2005, 01:11 PM
Nice setup....

How big is your tank?
What type of skimmer do you have?
What about your water parameters?

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 01:18 PM
i dont have a skimmer, i dont know if that sounds crazy, but i use the ecosystem filtration method with just caulepra and miracle mud

mystikdragon7
12/02/2005, 01:20 PM
Is this a newly cycled tank? If it is, I would stay away from the gonipora. They are really hard to keep and I always hear about them dying in peoples tanks. You need to have perfect and stabel water conditions. I have stayed away from them because they are really pricy and I would hate to have something that exspensive die.

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 01:27 PM
the tank has been established for about 2 years, when starting this hobby i didnt have any knowledge at all about what i was doing, when going to my lfs they sold me eveything i needed, but undersold, for example the pump they sold me wasnt strong enough to even move a fly in my tank....samething for the light they never gave me anough watts, even for the lighting for my caulepra they undersold me....keep in mind they sell everything at top price

so being a 16 year old doing such an expensive hobby parents got tired of funding me, and i had to slow down for a while, and now after doing some changes and having the tank regain control of itself i will take it slower then last time i did

guess ill stay away from the gonipora

can you guys also recommend me some good hardy softies and lps corals?

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 02:30 PM
???

MCary
12/02/2005, 02:34 PM
Reefer,

For a 16 yo you have a great system. Imagine it when your 26. Your choices are good as far as LPS. Hammers, frogspawn and anchors should do great. Short tenicle plates are nice.

I have a Glaxia and I love it. But you need to be aware that they are very aggressive. If they sense the presence of another coral they can develope sweepers over 9 inches long. Its a good idea to properly plan all placement.

Mike

fossil
12/02/2005, 03:09 PM
Speaking of Glaxia I was at my LFS when a new coral shipment came in. Watching when they put the new glaxia in the coral tank I soon saw a number of sweepers pop out. They put the glaxia about a foot away from everything else. After about 15 minutes it had about 6-7 sweepers out and one attached to a coral almost 2 feet away! I informed the LFS and they moved it to another tank. Watchout for that coral.

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 03:54 PM
i started wen i was 16 and i just turned 18 last week but thanks for the compliments.

and for the glaxia i guess thats also off my list, nothing too aggressive

also what kind of things liquid/frozen foods or anything else do you provide for your corals such as lps and softies so they can grow?

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 05:02 PM
???

Loralie
12/02/2005, 05:14 PM
Cyclopeese is a great food for inverts. I would stay away from the goni, they are rather challenging. Also I would try to add a skimmer. I also run a large fuge with rock and Caulerpa, but th eskimmer still pulls out tons of skimmate. I think the hammers, frogspawns and leathers are a great choice. I have 8 different hammers and frogspawns in my 125. Also torches do well with the hammers and frogspawns, same family

reefer1187
12/02/2005, 05:28 PM
hey loralie!!! can i see your 92 gallon i have the same one you have i am looking for ideas :-D

i have seen a system without a skimmer and believe me it was beautiful one of the most beautiful i think it was like a 300 something gallons, and it uses the same filtration method i use

and i will definitly get he torch