PDA

View Full Version : Water Alert

imsqueak
12/01/2005, 10:32 PM
I'm sick of flooding my water change tub under my tank. I sealed the stand to prevent any water that happened to leak inside the stand and put a roof gutter on the back to catch any that did happen but I obviously didn't do a good enough job. When I flood my water change tub (which isn't on a solenoid, just a T from my top off which is on a solenoid) I have to break out the wet vac and carpet cleaner. I'm over it! I dont want to rig another float switch for my top off so the next best thing is a water alarm. Someone on ebay has them for cheap so I'm going to get 3-4 . http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Water-Sensor-Flood-Alert-Fish-Tank_W0QQitemZ7728321191QQcategoryZ20755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you want one/some, let me know by Saturday morning. It wont stop the flooding but it will let me know sooner than stepping on squishey carpet.

Fishboy42
12/01/2005, 11:28 PM
This reminds me of the many times I have flooded the basement with the RO unit (at least it's clean water right!?). I finally installed an overflow bulkhead in the reservoir that goes to a drain just in case it overfilled. I tried the water alarms, but mine (2) stopped working. I don't know if the sensors were meant to be repeatedly submerged...

easttn
12/02/2005, 07:26 PM
Don,

I built a float setup based on your input and a circuit from runner (I think) over two years ago, no floods. Can I help ya?

imsqueak
12/02/2005, 07:45 PM
I suppose I should do it the right way... but I'm still getting some of them alert thingies. I'll get with you or Scott or I may just do a simplier version than the one you spoke about - that one was way over my head.

My next issue is going to be the cold water and my ro/di. I may have to break down and get a pump for it this year.

easttn
12/02/2005, 07:57 PM
We can do it one step at a time.
Explanition of why things work.
Parts list
Purchase
Build
It really is quite simple.

Its up to you, no sweat.

I do like the flood detector though, it can feed a signal to a PLC for different reasons.

Fishboy42
12/03/2005, 12:44 AM
The cold water and RO issue affected me too. I finally ended up buying a second RO unit after looking at pump costs. I guess I put a lot of waste-water down the drain, especially during winter, but it comes out of the lake and gets treated and put back in there anyway...