PDA

View Full Version : ok, 1 more lighting question...t-5 or VHO

saltyESQ
12/01/2005, 06:20 AM
since I can't get the mh due canopy size, I would still like to replace my pc's with something stronger.

so which is better VHO or T-5.

and If it is the VHO, I found a system on hellolights for 165 + bulbs. So would I was thinking 2 10k bulbs and 2 actics, how does this sound?

bugsy714
12/01/2005, 11:19 AM
T5 is stronger lighting but it has some issues:
High heat (same heat output per watt as halides)
Bulb color is a bit off for a display

Never dealt with VHO's

gtrestoration
12/01/2005, 12:06 PM
Here's a link showing what enough T5 lighting (and money) can do. :)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=639570&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

SteveU

pookstreet
12/01/2005, 12:08 PM
Hey bugsy, are you sure on the heat issue with T5s? I have always read that they run much cooler than VHO's. I agree on the colors tho, especially the actinics. Nothing beats VHO actinics.

bugsy714
12/01/2005, 12:19 PM
Hey Kenny,

Yeah, t5's run HOT, we use them to heat the system at night by running them over the prop with no fans. Not sure how they stack up heat-wise to vho

saltyESQ
12/01/2005, 12:28 PM
are there any hieght requirements for VHO's
since t-5's are too hot for my tank and I don't have the height for them

mikedege
12/01/2005, 12:37 PM
High heat (same heat output per watt as halides)

Wow, ive have 4X36 T5's on my tank with a low canopy, and my temp stays at a constant 79 degrees. I went fot T5's because of the heat issue, and when they have been on all day long, you can still touch them, and keep your fingers on them for as long as you want. You cant say that about VHO's, so Im not really sure where your'e getting your info about T5 heat issues. Im not trying to start a fight. Just speaking from expierience. The main reason i went for the T5's was I wanted,
1. Low canopy
2. No chiller.

and i couldnt be happier, i'd do it again 1000 times. The light output is simply amazing. :D

-Mike

bugsy714
12/01/2005, 12:51 PM
my t5's are 54watters (4 footers). You can't touch the bulbs when they have been on for an hour or more. I'm not saying vho's are more/less hot, just saying from what I read here on RC in the lighting forum, the heat generated per watt of t5 lighting is the same as mh. Please keep in mind it is not at a single point like mh but more diffuse over the length of the bulb.

Look over in the lighting & equiptment forum for better info before you buy

The Grim Reefer
12/01/2005, 02:49 PM
The heat generated by T5's don't even come close to heating the tank like halides, and yes, I have ran both. I had 6 80 watt T5's running overdriven at about 100 watts a piece and they didn't put as much heat in the tank as 3 150 watt halides running with 168 watts of PC in an open fixture mounted slightly higher than the T5's were. The T5's are in a conopy. I am now running 250 watt halides (DE) only on e-ballasts. The fixture is about 8" above the water (T5's were about 3 1/2") and it still get the tank hotter than with the T5's and I run the lamps 9 hours as opposed to 11 hours with the T5's.

bugsy714
12/01/2005, 08:26 PM
The heat is dispursed throughout the entire bulb length rather than in a single point. This means the heat from t5's will feel weaker from the same distance, but if both lights were kept in a closed system, the overall heat output is the same or more per watt for t5's.

Since halides concentrate all the heat directly under the arc tube, you get the effect you are describing. If you point a small fan between the surface of the water and the arc tube it should help your problems.

Hope this makes sense....

The Grim Reefer
12/02/2005, 12:36 PM
Even if you only consider the physical heat of the lamps the Fluorescents will cause less heating of the tank for the reason you suggest. Because the fluorescent's heat is dispersed along a greater area much of it is not radiated far enough away to reach the water. Heat is also a byproduct of a fluorescent lamp while halides are designed to run hot in order to function properly. With T5's you are running less watts through a given area than with other fluorescent lamps so they run cooler than PC or VHO's. When you get a good T5 system you have clip on reflectors which also help to disperse heat from the lamp.

But the biggest reason halides heat the tanks up so much, as it was explained to me by a guy who designs halide and fluorescent lamps is the spectrum of light that is output. Halides emmit greater amounts of shortwave UV which heats objects up much more than other spectrums. Fluorescent lamps used on aquariums operate by phosphores aborbing the UV light and in turn producing visible light. They produce very little emmited shortwave UV light.

mikedege
12/02/2005, 01:00 PM
Wow, im learning, thanks for the replys. and its not even my post. :D So, sounds to me that T5s will get you most bang for your buck, as far as light output vs. heat output. is concerned. Am i correct? Cus I think that is what "bergamer" is most concerned about. In other words, If we compared light output/heat emitted from. T5's vs. VHO's would T5s win? My opinion is "yes". Cuz my buddys VHO's are much hotter than my T5's, and my light output actually loooks brighter. I'm no expert, i just want to make sure i'm not missing something.

-Mike:)

The Grim Reefer
12/02/2005, 01:12 PM
Like I posted earlier I've used both on the same tank and watt for watt the halides are causing more heat and produce less light at the sandbed 18" below the water. My halide fixture only has decent reflectors but the T5's creamed them in PAR using 150 less watts.

I FORGOT THE REASON I WAS LURKING IN THIS FORUM:D

I am going to be in the OC to visit my Mom for Christmas and was wondering where the cool reef stores are. Where I live I know of like 4 stores in the whole friggn state:(

bugsy714
12/02/2005, 01:16 PM
Still no VHO users popping up? People seem to favor t5's at the moment. They are nice because you can hang them closer than halides and with some proper fan placement you can dispurse the heat more easily.

Definitely agree with TGR's breakdown above. Also, another interesting thing about t5 is that they don't lose par as they get hot (like pc bulbs do). This is why they are more suited to being in a hood with halides.

Still no good info on vho....

The Grim Reefer
12/02/2005, 01:45 PM
T5's actually will lose PAR if they get too hot. They have a higher threshold than PC and VHO but can still lose PAR and die an early death if your fixture or canopy isn't well vented or if you don't run fans if you overdrive them. I know, I killed a couple by not running a fan in the canopy at first and the front two lamps got too hot. By 12 months they looked pitifull.

PC's will go a ways

gtrestoration
12/02/2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Where I live I know of like 4 stores in the whole friggn state:(

How many of those are LFS? :lol:

I'm 45 miles away from OC and 60 from LA so I can't help with stores local. ;)

SteveU

drake66
12/02/2005, 07:53 PM
LETS SEE SOME PICTURES! *glares at mikedege*

mikedege
12/02/2005, 08:01 PM
LETS SEE SOME PICTURES! *glares at mikedege*

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/mikedege/110505/IMG_0165.jpg

or

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/mikedege/110505/IMG_0101.jpg

-Mike :bum:

The Grim Reefer
12/02/2005, 08:40 PM
Check out what this guy did with T5's

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=700454&perpage=25&pagenumber=1