PDA

View Full Version : Any OC stores sell sumps?

Fmellish
12/01/2005, 04:21 AM
I need to buy a sump and I don't know if I want to pay so cal creations $250.00 and I sure as hell don't want to have to buy sheets of acrylic and a table saw and router.

I want one now. Where in Orange County can I go and buy a sump? I need the standard 3 chambers with bubble trap baffles between each. Chamber 1 will have to fit my AquaC ev 180 and chamber 2 will be fuge, and chamber 3 should be big enough to support water evap over a few days w/o draining.

looking for 30 gallons or so.

Premade sumps for sale anywhere here in the OC?

THanks

OH! and before I forget. I need bulkheads and other strange plumbing parts. None of my holes are very standard sizes. What store in OC has a large selection of Aquarium plumbing parts?

Thanks
Josh

hack job
12/01/2005, 09:28 AM
tongs has lots of them

NicoleC
12/01/2005, 09:33 AM
I'd pay for the custom sump. Unless you find one used or do a partial DIY, you're not likely to save much (if any) money.

Plumbing parts:
Lowes & Home Depot (look in the sprinkler section, too)
Marine Depot (online)
Pacific Reef
Fish 2000 (at least they used to carry lots)

fish_fanatik
12/01/2005, 10:49 AM
I live in OC and might have a sump that will fit your specs. I have to head to work in a few but just shoot me a pm if your interested and I will take measurements for ya. I live in Anaheim

reefpeep2004
12/01/2005, 10:53 AM
Actually Circle Pet in Long Beach has several and at better prices than I've seen anywhere else.

WarDaddy
12/01/2005, 11:03 AM
you can always buy an inexpensive glass tank, get some glass baffels cut, home depot will do 1/8" glass or a glass company will cut 1/4", and then silicone in the baffels where you want them.

That is how I am doing mine, I am turning my 55 gallon into a sump, I am going to use the 1/8 homedepot glass. I built my current sump and refuge, it is really easy.

bugsy714
12/01/2005, 11:36 AM
Passion of the Sea has a great acrylic guy. Give Anthony a call and ask about a quote. You can reach him through his website www.aquadesignz.com

Good luck! A properly designed sump is one of the sweetest pieces of gear you can buy. Don't forget to make the chambers wide enough for that dream skimmer :D

bugsy714
12/01/2005, 02:07 PM
ps- www.oceanproaquatics.com sells pre-made sumps for pretty cheap. They are located in Chino so it's a short drive to pick-up your goodies

Look under wet-dry filters

rockindacheeks
12/01/2005, 02:07 PM
Coral Island in Orange can make you anything you want...i had a sump made from him and its awesome

frekcles
12/01/2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by WarDaddy
you can always buy an inexpensive glass tank, get some glass baffels cut, home depot will do 1/8" glass or a glass company will cut 1/4", and then silicone in the baffels where you want them.

That is how I am doing mine, I am turning my 55 gallon into a sump, I am going to use the 1/8 homedepot glass. I built my current sump and refuge, it is really easy.

This is what we did. We traded our acrylic for a glass tank and asked a very generous rc member to set it up for us. Now we have a sump with skimmer inside and everything works great.

frekcles
12/01/2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Fmellish
I need to buy a sump and I don't know if I want to pay so cal creations $250.00 and I sure as hell don't want to have to buy sheets of acrylic and a table saw and router.

I want one now. Where in Orange County can I go and buy a sump? I need the standard 3 chambers with bubble trap baffles between each. Chamber 1 will have to fit my AquaC ev 180 and chamber 2 will be fuge, and chamber 3 should be big enough to support water evap over a few days w/o draining.

looking for 30 gallons or so.

Premade sumps for sale anywhere here in the OC?

THanks

OH! and before I forget. I need bulkheads and other strange plumbing parts. None of my holes are very standard sizes. What store in OC has a large selection of Aquarium plumbing parts?

Thanks
Josh

Coral Oasis has some wet/dry as well as Window to the Sea but I'd got to CO first.

laverda
12/01/2005, 04:30 PM
I have a brand new one with filter sock sold By Jeff exotis that I have decided not to use. It was $229.95 plus tax. I would let it go for $210.00. It is 36X13X16Tall and undrilled. I am in Irvine.

Fmellish
12/01/2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by hack job
tongs has lots of them

You're statement sparked my curiosity, I had never been to Tong's. I got directions and headed off during my lunch break.

That store has a ton of stuff. Unfortunately, none of it is affordably priced. But that didn't stop me. I picked up a 30 gallon sump, ($359). I know, I could have bought a cheap tank and glued in all my own baffles. I simply prefer to have things done for me. This thing is sweet IMO. It's 13" wide x 36" long x 16" tall. It was the format I wanted so I was excited. 3 chambers, intake, refuge, return. I was also able to pick up my bulkheads at Tong's. They have everything.

I do want to make one mod. The chamber walls only go up to about 9 inches. WHich is what my skimmer will like, but I'd prefer to have more water volume. So I'm contemplating increasing the height of the inner baffles and then just putting my skimmer on a small stand. I was also able to buy Weld On at Tong's. How about that. As long as Home Depot sells and cuts acrylic as the guy at Tong's told me, this should be easy.

NicoleC
12/01/2005, 05:02 PM
HA! So much for not paying Socal Creations $250 :P At least you had instant gratification.

Don't raise the baffle height too high. Other than wanting space for overflow water, a lower water level will help with salt spray on the inside of your stand.

gtrestoration
12/01/2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by NicoleC
HA! So much for not paying Socal Creations $250 :P At least you had instant gratification.

That's why retailers charge what they charge since they have their profits tied up in inventory waiting for someone to come in and spent some money.

Nothing wrong with either option it just depends on when you want it and what you can spend. ;)

SteveU

mmoore0803
12/01/2005, 05:48 PM
You're statement sparked my curiosity, I had never been to Tong's. I got directions and headed off during my lunch break.

That store has a ton of stuff. Unfortunately, none of it is affordably priced. But that didn't stop me. I picked up a 30 gallon sump, ($359). I know, I could have bought a cheap tank and glued in all my own baffles. I simply prefer to have things done for me. This thing is sweet IMO. It's 13" wide x 36" long x 16" tall. It was the format I wanted so I was excited. 3 chambers, intake, refuge, return. I was also able to pick up my bulkheads at Tong's. They have everything.

I do want to make one mod. The chamber walls only go up to about 9 inches. WHich is what my skimmer will like, but I'd prefer to have more water volume. So I'm contemplating increasing the height of the inner baffles and then just putting my skimmer on a small stand. I was also able to buy Weld On at Tong's. How about that. As long as Home Depot sells and cuts acrylic as the guy at Tong's told me, this should be easy.

You haven't changed a bit....now all you need to do is find a Stand and Canopy

Fmellish
12/01/2005, 06:57 PM
I prefer to have things now rather than later. I prefer to have things new rather than used. When what I want is available new.

Some people can't always afford that. I understand.

I'm keeping my stand and canopy.

Randy at so cal creations said my current stand is the same way he would have built it. So I'm certainly not paying so cal creations $800 for a stand and canopy that's built the same way as my current stand and canopy.

So my budget had some flex in it. I was expecting to pay $1100 for stand canopy and sump, but now I only had to get sump. I could have spent all of the extra $1100 on the sump I suppose.

Thanks
Josh

Fmellish
12/01/2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by NicoleC

Don't raise the baffle height too high. Other than wanting space for overflow water, a lower water level will help with salt spray on the inside of your stand.

Thanks for the advice Nicole I will keep this in mnid.

Josh

laverda
12/01/2005, 08:34 PM
Sounds like the sump I have!

Kwidjaya
12/01/2005, 08:34 PM
Yap...My mom is right.

"Money is Everything"
"Money can buy Everything"
"Money also can buy SUMP":p :p :p

hack job
12/01/2005, 08:48 PM
glad i could help. i know there expensive but some times they wiggle on the price a bit. ( maybe for me cause i am in there a lot lol). plus we usally get 10% off with our SCMAS card.

Bebo77
12/01/2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the advice Nicole I will keep this in mnid.

Josh

if you want an awesome stand and canopy contact sonofgaladriel here on RC

here is what he can do...
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/Bebo77/DSC02055Medium.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/Bebo77/DSC02059Medium.jpg

NicoleC
12/01/2005, 10:30 PM
Nice!

Bebo77
12/01/2005, 11:19 PM
isn't it.. he is making me one for my 300 with a matching canopy too..

:bigeyes: CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!:spin2:

NicoleC
12/01/2005, 11:41 PM
My old modification would be that I would want the tank recessed (earthquakes), and possibly doors on the bottom :)

Fmellish
12/02/2005, 04:04 AM
I love my sump. I just got done customizing it for my needs.

http://members.cox.net/jgunder/aquarium/

laverda
12/02/2005, 04:19 AM
Nice looking tank! Cut your canopy length wise, about one third of the way to the back and install hinges so it hinges up. That is what I did with mine. You may be able to use Gorilla glue and tooth picks to fix you hinges. I had to do the same for two of my doors in my stand. Have fun and take your time.

Fmellish
12/02/2005, 10:34 PM
laverda that is an excellent idea. I never actually thought of that. How does it look in the end?

I should probably use a table saw for the cl eanest cut right?

laverda
12/03/2005, 01:18 AM
Here is a pic of the end of the tank and canopy.

You will want a real clean straight cut how ever you do it. I had a plywood brace installed to keep the top from possibly sagging and also to hang my light mover rail. It just uses 7 small hinges. I had it done, buy a fellow reefer, as I dont have a table saw. You are welcome to come see it some time.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/29637canopy___stand_vents-med.jpg

Fmellish
12/03/2005, 01:32 AM
LOL

Now that I see your tank, I know who you are. I have seen your tank. I was on the tank tour. Great tank. I didn't know that it was hinged like that.

Cool stuff.

Thanks