PDA

View Full Version : Ca "ice melt" Find

imsqueak
11/30/2005, 10:57 PM
I found Prestone Ice Melt today at W-Mart. According to the reef chemistry forum it's Dow repackaged and reef safe. Don't get the Roadrunner that Lowes and HD is carrying as it hasn't been tested.

I'm particularly interested because I recently had to refill my CaRx and found the 1/2 remaining ARM was basically mush to the touch. I'd obviously cranked my Co2 too much and it was still not really keeping up (but it was low on ARM). So, I plan to use the CaRx to maintain and the ice melt to boost.

If you are using 2 part Ca off the shelf you might be interested in Randy's mix: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

and here's a link to help adjust your Ca to your optimum level: http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

derrikd
11/30/2005, 10:59 PM
i found the prestone driveway heat at my lowes. it is 50lbs for 16.97

derrikd
11/30/2005, 11:09 PM
can i ask a question about his mix, in the first one he says to cook the baking soda, then in the second one he does not mention it. should you bake it in the second mix or not?

cee
12/01/2005, 06:31 AM
ARM is notorious for turning to mush, others do not. Baking your Arm and Hammer has to do with whether or not you want it to change your pH or not. Can't remember for sure, but I think if you bake it, it will not lower your pH, but if you don't, it will. Ask Randy to be sure or read his article (the info's in there).

Dave

reefstyle
12/01/2005, 09:00 AM
What media do you guys use?

imsqueak
12/04/2005, 09:09 PM
I made 5 x 2ltr bottles of Ca and Alk and raised my Ca from 350 to 475 in 5 days. The calculator said it was best to not add more than 25% boost so I tried to adhear. Added 1 bottle per day and was supposed to end at 450 but I guess I shouldnt have added that last bottle. Took about an hour in the kitchen adding ingrediants and shaking bottles but well worth it.

I think I like this method of kicking the Ca and just let the Ca Rx do it's best to keep up betweent monthly tests.

I ordered Koralith from PA vs using ARM again. Darn outlet on Ca Rx has stopped 3xs in 2 wks so I wonder if I've melted the media again. Doesnt seem to be so.