PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer recommendations: Aquac vs. Euroreef vs. ASM

bureau13
11/30/2005, 03:29 PM
OK, I am currently scoping out what I will need to do to upgrade from a 55G to a 150-210G tank (current favorite candidate is a 170G bowfront). Obviously, my little Remora will not cut it anymore. Now, cost IS an object, but so is performance and ease of use. It will need to fit in inside my stand too, but I'll worry about that later.

The skimmers I am leaning towards are the Euroreef (CS8-3 or CS12-1), ASM (G-3 or G-4) and AquaC (EV180 or EV240). Of these, the Euroreefs seem to be more expensive, but generally well loved. Then I keep hearing that the ASM are essentially the same but use cheaper materials. Does that mean they'll perform the same? Are they noisier or something? If they use the same pumps and perform the same, cheaper materials seem irrelevant...its not like a plastic tube is going to be prone to failure. How about the ER E-series? I can't find them anywhere, but they're supposed to be the same basic tech but cheaper (hmmm sounds like ASM). Finally, the AquaC are interesting and have a fitting to directly connect ozone or a calcium reactor.

Just to throw something else in the mix...I know you can get the ASM modified for recirculating installations, and I'm pretty sure you can buy a version of the ER for same...not sure about AquaC.

So, what does everyone think in terms of skimming performance, amount of "fiddling with" required, noise, etc?

jds

jlx4
11/30/2005, 03:50 PM
I had an Aqua C-EV240 for about a year and am pretty satisified with it. I really haven't had experience with other units so others may be better and I don't know it.

I have the luxury of a fish room behind the wall so noise is not an issue with me, but the unit is quiet thats for sure.

I have it running on a 180 with a 50 fuge, pulls quite a bit of what I would say is a wetter foam than what I've seen discussed here on RC from the high-end skimmers. Anthony Calfo highly recommended the Aqua C when I was shopping so I bought it. I'm sure that thread is still around in his forum.

Good luck

Jon

Bennihanna
11/30/2005, 03:52 PM
i have a ASM G 1X. It uses the same pump as the Euroreef and was aheck of a lot cheaper. Very easy to clean and the best skimmer I have ever owned.

johnnyguitars
11/30/2005, 04:06 PM
Go with the aqua c

Purple Haze
11/30/2005, 04:37 PM
do you plan on playing rugby with your skimmer any time soon?

If not, save some dough for livestock and get the largest ASM, with gate valve, you can fit in your stand.

gcarroll
11/30/2005, 04:49 PM
I would recommend the Aqua C EV 240 run off a mag 18. This system should perform well for you. If you can fit it, get the EV400 w/ a mag 24 and a 1" injector.

drock59
11/30/2005, 06:03 PM
I would go with the ASM or ER simply for simplicity. You should look at an recirculating mod on either version and I trust you will be happy. I think aqua C is a good skimmer but I think it you will adjusting it more than the others and it will make more noise than the other. My two cents.

bureau13
11/30/2005, 11:55 PM
Good info everyone...sounds like there's really not a *wrong* answer out of those possible choices.

jds

drock59
11/30/2005, 11:59 PM
definately not a bad skimmer out of the three that you have narrowed it down to. From here your considerations should be ease of use and/or noise production.

don-n-sa
12/01/2005, 01:22 AM
I have a euro reef and an etsss 800 pro on my system and I would definitley go with the euro reef