PDA

View Full Version : Is garlic reef safe?

coralGoodie
11/30/2005, 10:22 AM
I've been feeding my fish in the F/O tank frozen delights tat are soaked in crushed garlic. I chopped them small so that they can also eat these. Now, my question is, if I put the same food soaked in garlic in my reef tank, is it safe for corals and inverts to have garlic in the tank?

My PT used to have a bump on its mouth now it's gone. Thanks to garlic. I would give tem garlic maybe once a week to kill those parasites and also to prevent them for coming back.

wishntoboutside
11/30/2005, 10:51 AM
garlic will help there imune system but if your tank has the continual garlic smel it would check your nitrites. this may so a presence if you are using to much. in my opinion it is great for the fish and helps keep them eating an such. but i am sure others may say otherwise=). i guess a key word is moderation

Irvine Man
11/30/2005, 01:46 PM
do you have to satuee (satay??) the garlic or just chop a raw one finely and feed like Formula One?
never treid anything but brine shrimp and Formula one with my fishes. This may be a new treat!!!

bennyinca
11/30/2005, 01:54 PM
sauteed garlic on a piece of sourdough toast hmmm :D

j/k I believe you use the raw extract of garlic

coralGoodie
11/30/2005, 01:59 PM
I use raw garlic. I minced it then soak it for 5 minutes. My Coral Beauty and Purple Tang love it. They think that it's a pice of frozen shrimp but its not. I think this is better than buying processed garlic.