PDA

View Full Version : Anemones

budjr8000
11/27/2005, 09:45 PM
I am new with reef tanks and was wondering which anemones are best for beginners. I plan to have 2 true percula clownfish, 2 pajama cardinal, a dwarf angel (not sure which one), and eventually a mandarin goby.

I have a 46 gallon bow front reef tank. I have 2- 96 Watt lights
(1- 10k, 1- Actinic Blue) and also 2 Lunar lights. I also have 2 jets that have a combined of 525 GPH.

geo
11/27/2005, 09:53 PM
IMO none of the host anemones are suited for beginner reef keepers. These can be difficult animals to maintain.

geo
11/27/2005, 09:55 PM
here is a link to check out
http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Amphiprion
11/27/2005, 10:41 PM
May be beneficial to get some experience first. The best "beginner" host species is Entacmea quadricolor or the Bubble, bubbletip anemone.

JENnKerry
11/28/2005, 05:53 PM
I agree. Try tackling some easy corals and get a little experience under your belt before you try a more demanding animal like an anenome.

logans_daddy
11/28/2005, 09:30 PM
I concur with Amphiprion. I bought a BTA a couple of months ago and it has thrived. I only have 2 54watt T5 bulbs(1 daylight 1 blue) and contrary to everything i have read the BTA has decided to attach itself to the inside of a cave near the bottom of my tank with very little light. When the lights are on it is very compact with full bulbs(signs of a very content BTA). I dont have any fish that host with it although my powder brown tang shares the cave with it. I spot feed it brine shrimp every other day. The BTA has not moved since the first week i got it and has almost doubled in size(likely a result of the frequent feedings). The BTA is very hardy and very easy to take care of. I got mine from liveaquaria.