PDA

View Full Version : Help with polyps

deepboy
11/27/2005, 08:01 PM
My brown polyps are dying off again! Awhile bake my polyps started closing up one by one and thay look like they where desolving but left behind just a stub of a polyp, I did a major water change and uped my water changes and slowly thay came back to life! Nothing has changed on how much of a water replacement I do and all of a sudden the problem came back but worse, I did another major water change which did not help, I have about 10 polyps left and they seem to be the bigger ones of the brown polyps and the funny thing is everything else in my tank seems to be doing better then ever and all the tests I have done came out fine! If anyone has had this problem and can tell me what I may be over looking please fill me in.

TippyToeX
11/27/2005, 08:14 PM
Have you taken a close look at them with a flashlight late at night? I'd be afraid of some kind of predator. :(

algonquin
11/27/2005, 08:19 PM
I agree with Tippytoex. Thereis probably a predator picking away at them. I had that problem as well. I moved my polyps to a different tank.
Andy

wahshk
11/27/2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah. Check for small snails and/or nudibranch (sp.) and/or worms late at night or early morning before lights are on. What fish do you have?

peecook
11/27/2005, 08:25 PM
agree with wahshk

deepboy
11/27/2005, 09:19 PM
I did check late at nite in fact I just checked again and there is a large turbo snail eating on the rock vary close to them and a bunch of pods crawling and hidding behind the died polyps and a couple of tiny bistle worms but other then that nothing I haven't seen before! I have a mated pair of maroon clown fish, 1 fridmani Pseudochromis, 1 Yellow tail damselfish, 1 watchman goby, 1 coral lobster, 1 Emerald crab and 1 fire shrimp. All of which I have had for some time now. I do have a vary good amount of coralline algae coverage going on in my tank! It covers the back wall both sides and the front edges of the tank, I have try to keep a wide area open so I can look in! There is some on the rock even the dark purple but not alot like on the class, There is hardly any on the rock where the polyps are maybe just a dot here and there! Is there a thing of having to much coralline algae?

deepboy
11/27/2005, 09:36 PM
Here is a pic of whats left of my polyps.http://http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/76810Picture_18.jpg/IMG

shinosuke
11/27/2005, 11:19 PM
the pic didn't come out. Coraline algae is good stuff, I dont think there's such thing as too much.
~Adam D.