PDA

View Full Version : Pump Question

Liquid1
11/27/2005, 07:04 PM
I just purchased some LS from someone who was shutting down their tank. It is in a Rubbermaid bucket. As part of the deal, the person selling it to me gave me a QuietOne 3000 pump to keep the LS curculated until I am ready to put it in my tank/refugium. The pump sounds like it will go on but no water comes out (there is obviously water in the bucket as well). Does this pump have to be primed? Why won't it pump? Thanks in advance for your help.

ufans
11/27/2005, 07:11 PM
Is the pump submerged. Priming just means getting the pump full of water.

Liquid1
11/27/2005, 07:34 PM
Yes the pump is submerged and there is a very low hum when I plug the pump in so I'm sure it is getting electricity.

winklebe
11/27/2005, 08:17 PM
i would take the thing apart ... (since it was free and all) and see if gummed up keeping something from moving on the inside ... most likely there is something keeping the motor from spinning but is getting power

Liquid1
11/27/2005, 09:31 PM
I think that sounds like a good course of action... or perhaps I should flush it with a water/vinegar solution? If you think that is a good idea, what ratio would you guys recommend?

DownTown
11/27/2005, 09:35 PM
If you're going to use vinegar, just flushing it won't do you much good. Instead, soak it for a couple hours. Use straight, distilled white vinegar. No water. That will dissolve/loosen any calcium buildup. You'll probably want to take off the impeller housing if you can so you can scrape off whatever doesn't come off on it's own.

D.T.

NanoTX
11/27/2005, 09:58 PM
Strip it and dip it@. Leave the impeller and other plasctic parts in vinegar overnight.