PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank filtration question

ken123
11/27/2005, 06:27 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a 10 gal tank for use as a QT tank. Buying the tank, heater, hood, pvc pipe, thermometer, ammonia badge & filter. I have questions about the filter.

Do I get a simple in-tank corner filter or an HOB Aquaclear with a sponge?
I don't use the charcoal & cotton or media in the QT tank, right?
With either one just use a sponge which sits in my sump for a while to collect the bacteria?
Is any other filtration needed, since I will not be skimming?

I read Quarantine 101 and the RK article about quarantine plus a few other threads.

Avi
11/27/2005, 06:54 PM
Filtration is actually a little more complicated in a quarantine tank than you might think. You can use a fairly simple filter like a corner filter and you can use filter floss in there. You wouldn't want to use charcoal or carbon most likely because it would remove any medication that you put in the quarantine tank to treat a sick fish. The complication comes in when you don't have anything in the QT and then you put either a new fish or a sick fish from your reef into the QT. Because the QT had nothing alive in it for a while, the tank will begin to cycle when you put in the fish. Since the fish is already stressed either from being transported or it has some kind of parasite, this is really tough on the fish and it can even cause its death. There are different ways to address this problem but most likely the easiest way is to keep some filter floss in your sump (if you have a sump) and put that floss into the corner filter when you put a fish in the QT. The food you put into the QT for the fish should keep the bacteria in the filter floss alive and prevent the tank from cycling. You can also probably accomplish the same thing by regularly putting some fish food sparingly into the QT when it's empty. The rotting food should keep that bacteria in the filter floss in the filter alive, also preventing the tank from cycling when treating a fish.

ken123
11/27/2005, 07:06 PM
Right now I have no fish in my main tank, just snails & microhermits. The main tank is about 2 months old and I was going to buy 2 Skunk cleaners and 2 clowns from slatwaterfish.com. I was going to add the shrimp to the tank and put the clowns in QT. Since I need a QT anyway. So I could just 'cure' the corner filter with filter floss in my sump for a few days while I'm waiting for the shrimp & clowns to arrive, right? Then add the filter and water from the main tank just before the clowns arrive. Does this seem right?

Do I need to QT the clowns since they are my first fish for the tank?

old salty
11/27/2005, 07:32 PM
I use a hang on back (Whisper 40). I also have a mesh bag that contains media which is good for bacteria (don't remember the name of it.)

If I wind up needing to dose the tank with copper or anything, I can remove the filter cartridge and replace it with another sans charcoal. I usually do a lot of water changes which probably helps the most.

Avi
11/27/2005, 07:33 PM
First of all remember that inverts like shrimp and snails can not survive even the smallest traces of copper which is frequently an ingredient for medications for treating fish.

You could float the floss in the sump...I'm not so certain just a few days would be enough, but if you have no other choice try that.

I don't think you do need to quarantine the clows in the QT since they are the first fish. Just watch them closely to make sure they are feeding and that they have no signs of any parasites. I wouldn't add any other fish for three weeks or so to be totally sure.

BMitch
11/27/2005, 09:21 PM
YES, you do need to QT any new fish additions, including the first fish into the tank. If not, then these first fish could add disease into the tank and you would likely have to QT every new addition afterward for 6-8 weeks to ensure any disease, such as Ich, is gone.

Since you're doing the smart thing and building a QT, don't mess up your wonderful planning by adding a potential problem in your tank with your first fish additions.

Put the clowns into QT for around 6 weeks to ensure that no diseeases are added to your tank!

Malolo
11/27/2005, 09:30 PM
sponge filters are great no frills biological for qt. just keep em active in the main tank and sterilize after using in QT.

Avi
11/27/2005, 10:13 PM
I like aquaman's idea about the sponge filters

ken123
11/27/2005, 10:59 PM
OK then, I will quarantine the clowns like I originally thought.

But if I get the shrimp & clowns at the same time, mail order, I can add the inverts to the main tank right away?

As far as the filter goes, if i were to get this Whipsper 40 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3643&ref=3532&subref=AC&N=2004+22769), I should only be using the mechanical & biological filtration?
Any difference between Aquaclear (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3610&ref=3532&subref=AC&N=2004+22769) or the Whisper?

Avi
11/27/2005, 11:08 PM
You can put the shrimp in the main tank right away. I can't say that I really see the need to quarantine the Clownfish if there'll be nothing else in the tank, but I suppose I live dangerously sometimes. I think it's because I have had some bad results with fish in a QT that hadn't been sustained and the nitrates went up drastically when I put the fish in and it stressed it to the point that it would die if I didn't put it directly into the main reef. Quarantining is a good thing to do if you are certain that putting a fish into the QT tank won't trigger a cycle. If you don't make sure the filter on the QT is alive, and the tank starts cycling, IMO, it's worse than putting the fish right into the main tank.

If you are using the Whisper or Aquaclear on the QT tank, it doesn't matter which you use as they are essentially the same, but as recommended above, you'd be better off using a sponge filter.

ken123
11/27/2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks Avi. Well, this is why I'm asking. Everyone has their own opinion about things. I might as well establish a SOP when I add fish, now is as good a time as any. I'll be going out tomorrow to pick the QT stuff up locally. It wll be a p.i.t.a. to watch 2 tanks, but that's the way it should be.

Avi
11/27/2005, 11:29 PM
Don't get me wrong...I think quarantining is a good practice but it does need to be done correctly and it seems like you're willing to do that.

ken123
11/29/2005, 10:24 PM
Bought an Aquaclear 20 HOB filter. This seemed better than the Wisper because the 3 parts of the filtration are separate. And it was cheaper. :) I'll leave out the carbon section. One question though. I know I use the foam insert, but do I also use the Biological insert? I suspect yes.

old salty
11/30/2005, 05:21 AM
Yes, use the biological insert.

If possible, throw the sponge in the fuge to get it seeded.

Steven Pro
11/30/2005, 07:08 AM
I would take the entire Aquaclear filter and run it on your tank right now. That should get the filter seeded with beneficial bacteria. I would use the sponge and little ceramic things they give you.

As to the shrimp, the best practice is to quarantine everything wet; fish, corals, inverts, liverock, sand, macroalgae, etc. See here for full details on quarantining,
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

schristi69
11/30/2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by ken123
OK then, I will quarantine the clowns like I originally thought.

But if I get the shrimp & clowns at the same time, mail order, I can add the inverts to the main tank right away?

As far as the filter goes, if i were to get this Whipsper 40 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3643&ref=3532&subref=AC&N=2004+22769), I should only be using the mechanical & biological filtration?
Any difference between Aquaclear (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3610&ref=3532&subref=AC&N=2004+22769) or the Whisper?

Get the aquaclear. The media system is a lot easier to work with than the Whisper bag system. I am running the 50 on my 20 QT tank and like it a lot better than the old Whisper I have.

psy_chick
11/30/2005, 07:47 PM
To cycle your tank, try using some Cycle or bacterial additive and toss a raw shrimp in it for "stressless cycling" (thanks to reef central for this tidbit!)if you use the sponge type or other biological, the bacteria additive can start to colonize the sponge

ken123
11/30/2005, 11:00 PM
If I keep the foam and bio insert in the sump for more than a week would it really be necessary to add the raw shrimp?

old salty
12/01/2005, 12:02 AM
If you were diligent about water changes, you probably wouldn't have to add the raw shrimp.

When I QT a fish (as I am doing right now), I change 25% of the water every other day for the first week. Since my QT is a 20 gallon tank, this is only 5 gallons. After the first week, I do a 50% WC once a week. Also, I purchase small fish, so they create less waste.

ken123
12/05/2005, 09:51 AM
Is 1 week long enough for the sponge and bio media to seed in the sump before I move it to start the QT tank? I can see some amphipods crawling around the sponge & bio media, not that this matters about bacteria.

I would like to order from saltwaterfish.com this week and get the clowns on Friday if the sponge is ready. If not I can wait longer. I'm usually patient, just excited about getting the first fish.:) So is the family!

I will be using water from the main tank and would set the QT tank up Thursday night so it's ready for the clowns on Friday. Water params on main tank are good so far. I also bought Formula One, Two and Prime Reef flakes. Will maybe pick up something frozen from the LFS next visit.

Any other advice? Thanks all!

ken123
12/05/2005, 03:48 PM
bump