PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new 90 gallon tank

El Langostino
11/27/2005, 06:11 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here and I'm also very new to the saltwater hobby. I was wondering if anyone could possibly verify if my list of various tank equipment seems to be adequate.

I plan on purschasing basically the following:

90 gallon reef ready tank
pine stand

versa Top 48 X 18 glass hood

All-glass Aquarium 48" Double strip light

Wet/dry trickle filter/ Protein Skimmer combo w/ 15 gallon sump

Rio Hypderflow 26 Circulation pump as powerhead

350watt heater

40 lbs bag of Aragoite sand

40-50 lbs of Fiji live rock

an RO/DI unit

Er...I might have accidentally omitted some other items, not really sure...however if this is the case, feel free to suggest anything to me.

Also, could someone suggest a salt mix and explain to me how to go about doing, and all the tools necessary for the salt water creation process? I guess I'd need something to the extent of a home depot bucket and a pump?

One last thing I promise! My friend has given me a 40 gallon tank that will fit under the stand and I was just wondering if I'd be able to place the wet/dry skimmer combo inside of this 40 gallon tank. I'd like to do this so I can greatly increase the total volume of the tank. Just wondering if it is reasonable to do this.

I guess that's about it, any comments are greatly appreciated =)

El Langostino
11/27/2005, 06:16 PM
Oh, yes.....one more thing. I forgot to mention this is going to be a fish only tank. It will have some live rock too, but not enough to really be used as bio-filtration so I'll just call in an FO for now I suppose.

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/27/2005, 06:23 PM
sump return pump?
another powerhead in tank.

El Langostino
11/27/2005, 06:29 PM
Ah, right. Thanks. Forgot to mention that.

I guess a Ocean Runner 2700 pump would suffice?

roader247
11/27/2005, 06:44 PM
I think if I were you I would skip the wet dry I have run them for years and it will crate nitrate. get a better skimmer and live rock and I think you will do better. But I will admit wet dry's do run good and are stable I am finally moving away from them now

El Langostino
11/27/2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I've heard that wet dry filters can be a nitrate factory...but then again other ppl have informed me that this is just nonsense.
It's just a bit cheaper for me now as opposed to stocking 100 lbs of live rock which will easily cost $400.

Anyway, I see you are located in the ATH, Ga.

I'm also in Athens at the moment as I'm currently a University of Georgia undergrad and will most likely be purchasing all of my materials from Athens Aquarium and Fish Store. I love that place, it's great.

PVitty77
11/27/2005, 07:45 PM
you Def. need to get a good protein skimmer. also should look into getting a few books to get you started. the more you know before you start the less you'll learn by trial and error. good luck with the tank.

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/27/2005, 08:34 PM
"Trickle filters" can still run 600gph through them....so i would say it is no more a nitrate factory than just a baffled-open sump.
If it is a "Wet-Dry w/bioballs", then yes the bioballs can most definitely become a nitrate factory.
JMO

El Langostino
11/28/2005, 11:42 AM
I do havea few good books I've been reading such as The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta. I just like to toss ideas around and see what people on the forum think.

Even after reading it, the selection process of tank items and which filtrations methods to use can still be a ratehr daunting task I think.

kau_cinta_ku
11/28/2005, 11:46 AM
why not get base rock and then seed it with your LR it will all become LR sooner or later then you will have enough and much cheaper than all LR.

El Langostino
11/28/2005, 11:53 AM
Hmm...pardon me here if I'm incorrect, but you are saying that using base rock as the foundation with sparring amounts of Live Rock will work because eventually all the living organisms on the LR will spread to the base rock making it LR as well?

How long would this process take and could I get away with just a protein skimmer no wet/dry filter assuming that it all becomes LR soon enough?

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't really explored the possibility of base rock.

gbtrain
11/28/2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by El Langostino
Hmm...pardon me here if I'm incorrect, but you are saying that using base rock as the foundation with sparring amounts of Live Rock will work because eventually all the living organisms on the LR will spread to the base rock making it LR as well?

How long would this process take and could I get away with just a protein skimmer no wet/dry filter assuming that it all becomes LR soon enough?

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't really explored the possibility of base rock.

Yes the base rock will become LR over time. I would recommend something like 70/30 70% base and 30% live. I would think it would only take a couple on months(just my guess though). Plus base rock is a lot cheaper.

With a good skimmer, live rock and some good water movement in tank is all the filtration you really need in FOWLR tank.

El Langostino
11/28/2005, 04:40 PM
Aye, thanks for the time table.

Would you say this method; using live rock and say an aqua medic skimmer is somewhat more efficient than getting a wet/dry and using a skimmer?

Also, if the wet/dry filter I'm purchasing comes with bio balls, should I remove them and replace them with a different source or would it do any good to leave it empty? (I do realize that might be an uninformed n00b question)

roader247
11/28/2005, 05:52 PM
EL Langostino Glad to see another Athenean on the site. Have you bought your tank and stand yet? If you haven't and when you do let Athens Aquarium know that you are shopping around mention Bob's in Augusta and tell them you are also looking online, it will save you some money. I might be interested in letting one of my used wet drys go I have a Bio Rocker that I still am using and another just wet Dry that is in the garage.

El Langostino
11/28/2005, 05:59 PM
Drat, I should have mentioned that. I just reserved a 90 gallon with stand and lighting this afternoon...and the guy ringing the transaction up charged me for expensive coral lighting, DOH! The package cam out to like 689 or so..but when I informed him of his mistake he told me that they would just credit the extra $180 or so to the rest of the purchases I make for my tank gear.

Kind of annoying but I'm supposed to get an email from matt with the final quote and a phone cal tonight or tomorrow.

roader247
11/28/2005, 06:02 PM
Well if you need any help let me know

El Langostino
11/28/2005, 06:03 PM
Sure thing, Thanks =)