Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 40 ppm
alk = 300 ppm
Ph = 7.8
Ca= 400ppm
SG = 1.024
temp =79

Can I do a water change?
Can I add couple of cleaner shrimp, or is it too early?

Thanks for your help,

John:rollface:

Big Amish
11/27/2005, 12:35 PM
I would not do a water change until the cycle is 150% complete. I also wouldn't want to add anything until your ammonia drops below 0.5. Even then your cycle is not complete until both ammonia and nitrite are flatline zero across the board.

You're currently undergoing stage 3 of the AKPC* : antisipation. This is a difficult stage for you and it requires a certain mental toughness to push through.

* ( Aquarium Keeper's Psychological Cycle ) :D

Agu
11/27/2005, 03:19 PM
I'm not a fan of letting ammonia get to high so I'd probably do a waterchange.

In any case it's much too early to add livestock.

mikeatjac
11/27/2005, 03:27 PM
I would not change water as this will prolong the cycling process. You are on the down side of the ammonia cycle and it should disappear shortly.
Do not add anything to your tank until the ammonia and nitrite readings are 0 and then not much.

WaterKeeper
11/27/2005, 04:51 PM
Change out that water. In fact change a bunch. The dirty, nutrient ladened water that you replace will only act as fuel for later algae blooms. Only a few bacteria are free swimming and the few removed during the water change will have no apparent effect on the duration of the cycle. The good guys are mainly benthic, securely attached to that LR, and are the true biofiltration crew. I bet your ammonia levels will be near zero after about three 25% water changes over the next few days.

Oh, and mix that new water a little higher in S.G. say 1.026.

Big Amish
11/27/2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Change out that water. In fact change a bunch. The dirty, nutrient ladened water that you replace will only act as fuel for later algae blooms. Only a few bacteria are free swimming and the few removed during the water change will have no apparent effect on the duration of the cycle. The good guys are mainly benthic, securely attached to that LR, and are the true biofiltration crew. I bet your ammonia levels will be near zero after about three 25% water changes over the next few days.

Keeper, I had always understood that the ammonia in the water column was what fed the second stage bacteria. I don't doubt what you're saying, mind you, just trying to learn. :)

WaterKeeper
11/28/2005, 11:21 AM
Well, ammonia is constantly forming in your tank. Once you have a proper population of bacteria on your rock and sand most of this is happening on the surface. One group of bacteria is breaking down waste and forming carbon dioxide and ammonia. Right next to them another group used that carbon dioxide while changing the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate. This happens in just seconds, which is why in an established tank there is no detectable ammonia present. Your tank, coming out of the cycle is now acting like an established tank but there is a wee bit too much ammonia present for it to handle. Remove it manually and their will be far less to promote the growth of algae, who also will develop, although slower, to uptake ammonia. I guarantee it will not slow things up one bit.

GP
11/28/2005, 11:42 AM
Waterkeeper,
What is the purpose of keeping the salinity higher while cycling?
thx, Gary

WaterKeeper
11/28/2005, 11:44 AM
I don't know Gary. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I run mine at 1.025-1.026 during the cycle and afterward.