PDA

View Full Version : Who else was in the power outage since 5pm yesterday

loserkidz
11/27/2005, 11:54 AM
I was just wondering how many others had no electricity for their tanks from 5pm to 8:30 this morning. My house smells like death.:( :( :( :( Like everyone else, they say they will invest in a generator next year, but always keep puting it off. This is the longest my tank has been offline, that is over 15 hours. I will keep my fingers crossed, just my house reeks!!!
Brent

Konadog
11/27/2005, 11:59 AM
Sorry to here that Brent, you should at least find a couple of those battery powered air pumps. Man, what else can happen to your tank.

Power was fine all night at my house.

birdman204
11/27/2005, 11:59 AM
Stir with wooden spoon, invest in battery powered air pumps.. they are 20$ and will run for up to a full day , even longer on the same batteries.
As long as the tank is not overstocked, the should be fine with these measure applied. I've had my 300G go for 6 hours with only 2 battery pumps with no ill effects.
Sucks that it happened... was there warning for the area, i.e. from the power company?

simon.007
11/27/2005, 12:00 PM
Wow Brent, I hope all turns out ok. Did you call the power company? Good Idea about the generator but how do you start it Automatically?

Simon

loserkidz
11/27/2005, 12:06 PM
Ken I didn't get home last night until about 10pm and no one was home to let me know it was out. Edison said there was over 3100 homes affected from Downey all the way to Long Beach. Would a battery powered air stone have any affect on tank with a total gallonage over 400g? Anyways when it rains it poors, I was just recovering from my last crash. Simon, you have to have a sepearte automatic controller, the unit I am looking for cost about 3,00 and runs off of natural gas with built in switch.
Thanks everyone,
Good to hear it was only me!!!
Enjoy your weekend.
Brent Higa
AKA Crash King

Konadog
11/27/2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by loserkidz
AKA Crash King :lol: Keep your sense of humor Brent. Yes, those battery powered air pumps will keep your tank good for that long, and some of them turn on automatically.

How did your fish do, or do you know yet?

NicoleC
11/27/2005, 12:29 PM
Ah Brent, not again :(

birdman204
11/27/2005, 12:32 PM
The air pumps work well in aerating the water and in moving it.. As the bubbles rise, they cause turbulence... Not a lot, but enough to where they water that is being aerated can be moved around the tank and to your corals.

loserkidz
11/27/2005, 12:36 PM
I kidked on some of the lights, just too soon to see what did and didn't make it. I called SCE last night when I got home, and they told me that the electricity had onle been out 15 min, but when I talked to my neighbors this morning it went out at 5pm. And Edison said last night that the crew was already on it and that it should be back on within the hour, I really ddn't think that I should be of scuh great concern. But as the minutes then hours past I started to worry, but as I said earlier I was actully down way more time than what I thought. You would think by now I would have learned my lesson, I guess some like myself (Nuckle Dragging Caveman) just think it won't happen to me!!
Brent Higa

sps_addict
11/27/2005, 02:01 PM
Sucks to hear Brent. I use a backup power supply and have the pumps connected to it. Hope you didn't lose any livestock.

Old Yeller Tang
11/27/2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by birdman204
invest in battery powered air pumps.. they are 20$ and will run for up to a full day , even longer on the same batteries.

Mine will run for more than a day easily. I used just one on my old 200g when the power was out 10hrs and everything was fine. I just used it again on my 30g when I couldn't find my chevron tang and realized the pump to the skimmer died and my clowns were gasping badly. It ran for 2 days in that tank before I was able to get the skimmer going again. I know, 2 days but I wasn't motivated to do anything with the tank after I found my chevron dead.:(

Hope all ends up well for you, Brent!

sberman
11/27/2005, 02:22 PM
sorry to hear about this brent ---- but also besides the air pump u need to keep the water heated----- dont forget about that part of it -----1-4 hours is not a problem ----but after that the water cools real fast

hope all is good and survived for u