PDA

View Full Version : Hermits dying

strider
11/27/2005, 11:26 AM
Hi

Ive noticed that over the last couple of days that 3 of my what i believe are Scarlet Hermits although they were sold to me as Red Legged have died.

all ive found is the legs and claws out of the shell

i dont think any of my stock would be killing them however when i first put my LR in i noticed 2 crabs 1 was a greenish colour and the other had a red claw and red and white ringed legs

I havn't seen these 2 crabs since and dont know if they are still alive are there any other reasons for Hermits dying off

Benj
11/27/2005, 11:28 AM
They also do this when the molt. They shed their outer skins and shove them out the front of the shell. They will usually go into hiding for a few days thereafter until their new shells harden up a bit. The crabs will molt like this too.

strider
11/27/2005, 11:34 AM
will the claw and leg sections still be bright red as before on the shed

Benj
11/27/2005, 11:38 AM
Yep, they usually leave them in a "public" place so that predators are distracted by them and hopefully leave the actual crab alone during its hardening process of a few days.

Also, the green crab is probably not doing anything to harm them, but I don't know what the other one is for sure and it MAY be to blame, but I wouldn't think that unless I saw it doing something.

strider
11/27/2005, 11:39 AM
ive just found a 4th so i hope its just shedding

mmotown
11/28/2005, 04:44 PM
Today I found what appeared to be my third hermit. When they molt do the molt their entire body including their eyes?

Tate
11/28/2005, 05:01 PM
Yes, the molt looks just like a dead crab until closer examination.

In all likelyhood your crabs are fine and you'll see them in a day or so.

mmotown
11/28/2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Tate
Yes, the molt looks just like a dead crab until closer examination.

In all likelyhood your crabs are fine and you'll see them in a day or so.

Thanks Tate!!!