PDA

View Full Version : Well Water

burn2
11/27/2005, 09:33 AM
I'm starting my saltwater fish tank can I use hard wellwater?

Big Amish
11/27/2005, 10:21 AM
You're always better off using RO/DI water for your setup, as you can't control what level of metals, phosphates and other materials are in your well water.

Andrew
11/27/2005, 10:41 AM
[welcome]

I agree. Getting a RO/DI unit would be worth the money. Using well water might cause some differen't types of algae like tap water does. You can get a simple RO/DI unit for less then $100 now on e-bay.

bearpeidog
11/27/2005, 10:46 AM
I have a well and had to put a softner on the house. (Best move I ever made fir the house!). We had a little iron that the softner took care of. (Do you have brown staining around your shower heads etc). Softners are not designed to remove iron but ours was just high enough to be a nusance but low enough that the softner was able to handle it.

I still use a RO/DI unit. From the tap I get 80-90ppm with the softner, RO/DI takes it to 0.

I think I get longer longevity from the Ro/DI filters since I put in a house filter (it about 1-1/2 feet long) and then the softner.

Harpo
11/27/2005, 11:12 AM
I've used well water with success for many years. However before doing so have the water tested by a commercial lab (not a water softening company "lab") to see just what is in it. If it is not too bad and you decide to use it be prepared for more algae control issues than you would have with ro/di water.
hth, Mark

Spuds725
11/27/2005, 02:21 PM
i would never use well water in a fish tank--just asking for problems. well water quality can fluctuate over the year also and is easily contaminated

... I wouldn't be drinking it either--- I'd buy a unit, tee off after the RO stage, and feed a pressure tank for drinking/cooking water-- help you justify the expense...

I don't believe you shoild drink DI water-- i forget why though

AZDesertRat
11/27/2005, 05:22 PM
It all depends on the well and its water quality. Regardless you would still benefit from and RO/DI even with the best water quality.