PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Problems

n00b mariner
11/27/2005, 05:18 AM
I have a seaclone skimmer which worked fine after initieal bedding in period.....but recently im getting no skimmate whatsoever could my system be being overskimmed? I have a 30g with big external and two powerheads for flow. Also im getting a lot more bubble return than before.Any ideas?

michaeldaly
11/27/2005, 06:35 AM
Check the air intake for salt encrustation. Give the skimmer a complete cleaning. and try readjusting the skimmer.

n00b mariner
11/27/2005, 07:17 AM
tried that ........no results

mikeatjac
11/27/2005, 09:25 AM
I have no experience with the skimmer but I am sure you are not over skimming with a seaclone.

Benj
11/27/2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by mikeatjac
I have no experience with the skimmer but I am sure you are not over skimming with a seaclone.

I would have to agree. Seaclone skimmers are OK at best but at least the price is right and it is better than no skimmer. IMO, you can't overskim with ANY skimmer, but that's just me.

When you take the collection cup off, do the bubbles pop off of the surface of the water like when your pour 7up into a cup? If so, it is working properly. Not all skimmers put out crud at all times depending upon tank conditions.

Bubbles in the return could be a sign that there is not quite enough air getting to the venturi and the water is flowing at too high of a rate as a result. Try backing off the air valve a bit more to add a little more air flow. It should slow down the water flow at the same time.

n00b mariner
11/27/2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah bubbles do "pop off" when i lift the collection cup but dont seem to like travelling up the collection cup at the mo. Just tiny bubbles popping on surface all the time....and yes it seems that bubbles are getting back into the tank more than usual.
Thanks