PDA

View Full Version : 250 Gallon Questions

Phloater
11/27/2005, 02:38 AM
I need some help and/or adivce. I currently have a 45 gallon reef that is doing well, and I have a friend of a friend sorta thing that saw it and was wondering if I could help him with his tank, which is a 250 gallon. I said sure and just got a look at what I have to work with. I am looking for some answers or maybe where I should look that is reliable. I have never worked with a tank this big and he is having issues.

Quick Summary

Had no pumps or filtration going at all. Has a external pump for just water flow that does 1700 gph and a sumpish thing with a very poor excuse for a protien skimmer. He also had a few maxijet 400's that were moving water, not very well but just a little. I got the pumps running and the protien skimmer working. The external pump for water circulation is putting air bubbles in the tank. It has something to do with the plumbing but I cannot figure it out. The input for this is one of the overflow boxes, which I had to add a hose to get more water in it, because the overflow box does not allow enough water to get into it.

I am trying to locate information on plumbing of a reef tank this size. We plan on redoing all of the plumbing because it is messed up and I was hoping to find information on what size hoses I should use on the intake and output ends of this pump and probably modifications for the overflow.

Also we are looking at getting an in sump skimmer, and was wondering if the pump on this should not be as big as the return pump.

Or if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am going to work on pictures of a before and hopefully good result after.

Thank you everyone!

Dave

justgeorge
11/27/2005, 10:52 AM
I have a 240 gallon tank and it has 2 1" lines for the drain to the sump and 2 3/4" lines for the return lines. I'm running a Blueline/Velocity T4 return pump, plus 4 Maxijet 1200 powerheads inside the tank. It's not a reef tank though; if it were I would have more Maxijets inside the tank.

The pump for the skimmer has no relation to the size of the return pump. It should be whatever size pump the skimmer manufacturer recommends.

Andrew
11/27/2005, 10:54 AM
[welcome]