PDA

View Full Version : Should I use the sun to light my tank? Pros and Cons

dzovi
11/26/2005, 11:59 PM
I'm moving to a new house and thus am able to put my tank in a different location. I'm wondering if I should put my tank in the sun light by a window. I have a 29 gallon tank but don't know the pros and cons of the situation? Does anyone have any inputs? Thank you for your time.

Dominic

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 12:12 AM
ALGAE Algae and algae.....

Save yourself the headache..... Did I mention algae?

dzovi
11/27/2005, 12:14 AM
That's what I suspected. I'd need a major nutrient export plan to be able to get it done.

Fuegofish777
11/27/2005, 12:20 AM
i use sunlight to light my hang on fuge.....funny....i guess thats growing algae on purpose...see it all works out.

Gary Majchrzak
11/27/2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by dzovi
That's what I suspected. I'd need a major nutrient export plan to be able to get it done.
major nutrient export plan = a protein skimmer ;)

I'd add more sunshine over my aquarium in a heartbeat.

dzovi
11/27/2005, 12:23 AM
I have a 29 gallon with a CPR BakPak skimmer that is powered by a MaxiJet 1200. Do you think that would be enough? I'm also worried about the temperature of my tank in the summer time. Sacramento gets 110 degrees plus in the summer.

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 12:26 AM
Yea I have been in Sac when it gets hot like that, just long enough to head up to RedBluff :D Heat could be a big issue .

Any skimmer on a 29 is going to help. I know a lot of tanks <30 gallon just use water changes and no skimmer at all.

Gary Majchrzak
11/27/2005, 12:35 AM
Got AC? An aquarium located in an air conditioned room should be OK in sunlight. (The MJ might be more of a source for heat transfer than sunlight in an air conditioned room.) As always, monitor temps.
The MJ1200/CPR BakPak combo can work, but it's not a heavy favorite around these parts. Use only RO water (no tap!) and monitor all nutrient input to any sun lit system. Limit algae growth by limiting nutrients. Good luck.

mike bracken
11/27/2005, 01:09 AM
Most people who culture corals for sale use sunlight, too expensive to run that much lighting over a large tank.

ohioreef
11/27/2005, 05:11 AM
Anthony Calfo highly advocates the use of sunlight in his book.

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 11:41 AM
Sunlight in a Reef tank works great, but the colors are not very vivid (dull browns, some orange even GSPs look cruddy) but the growth rates are great!

Farmers may use the sun but virtually all wholesalers I have ever visited use MH. It is impossible to sell "brown" corals. (most are in fact brown and pretty darn dull without light in the 400-450nm range)

Also as soon as you add fish, the algae becomes a big issue. Been there, done that.... You need a very efficient export device for the waste if you plan on having a "fish" tank in the sunlight.

areze
11/27/2005, 12:26 PM
also, sun is setting at like 6PM around here for me, I like having my tank lit till 9PM when I can enjoy it.

on the plus side, its natural. if corals are anything like plants, they are heavily based on the length of day through the year. that is how trees know when to keep their leaves despite an early cold front.

memphisrb
11/27/2005, 12:29 PM
the new aquarium in Atlanta(the largest) uses natural sunlight for their coral display.rb

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 12:38 PM
Yea wish I could afford a 6 million gallon nutrient sink....