PDA

View Full Version : New and need some help 65gl

pennyguy23
11/26/2005, 10:23 PM
I'm going to set up a 65gl here in the next few weeks and need some help on what to buy.
The things I was thinking of getting are:

1. Tidepool Silent overflow skimmer

2. Tidepool bio wheel filtration 2

3. Not sure on protein skimmer. Would like some help with that.

4 48 " JEBO ODYSSEA POWER COMPACT AQUARIUM LIGHT 260w LEG

If there is anything I missed let me know. Thanks

theatrus
11/26/2005, 10:33 PM
I'd dump the bio-wheel and other filter systems and instead buy 60-80lbs of live rock for your tank along with two Seio 620 or several MaxiJet 1200s. This is especialy good if you already plan to have LR.

What do you intend to stock in this tank?

Protein skimmers recommended include remora pro for a HOB.

pennyguy23
11/26/2005, 11:15 PM
I intent to put ALOT of different corals and a few fish in.
I'm not looking to spend top of the line. But I don't want cheap either. I want to do it right the first time.

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 12:22 AM
First
[welcome]
pennyguy23

I second the "dump the bio wheel and buy a skimmer"

The live rock is the key to success in our little mini reefs. Also watch what you mix, chemical warfare with corals is not uncommon

snorkelmark
11/27/2005, 01:21 AM
Yes to skimmer. No to Biowheel.

You should also have your tank drilled and use bulkheads - they will be cheaper than external oveflows and you never have to worry about them - an external overflow is an accident waiting to happen. There are only 2 types of reefers with external oveflows - those that had a major catastrophe with losing siphon, and those that will. Gravity will beat you sooner or later.

pennyguy23
11/27/2005, 01:32 AM
So don't get the bio wheel. I got that but I should get what kind of skimmer. are you talking about the protein skimmer or something else. Sorry for being so dumb. So how should I set it up. Names and brands would be great. Please tell me everything you would get to set it up. Lights to filtration.

The reason I didn't want to put a hole in the take is that I got it from someone very close to me tha pass away a year ago and didn't want to risk braking or craking the tank.

theatrus
11/27/2005, 02:29 AM
An AquaC Remora Pro protein skimmer would be a good skimmer if you do not run a sump. Stay away from Seaclone or Prizm skimmers.

For all soft corals, most LPS, and some SPS corals a 4x65W PC light is a good buy. Good brands include Coralife and Current USA (the Current USA Orbit is a nice fixture). If you intend to keep clams or more light demanding corals, you'll need to move up to metal halide. But do not neglect water flow for corals! You're shooting for about 20-30x turnover (so a 65gallon would need ~1300 gallons per hour flow).

With live rock and good water flow, you do not need extra filtration

Here are some useful books which I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890087483/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890087025/

yodawagon
11/27/2005, 03:33 AM
id forget about that light fixture, seems some people on here had a few start fire

pennyguy23
11/27/2005, 01:39 PM
What kind of sump should I get.? or do I not need one. I want to get everything I MIGHT need in the beginning.
So all I need is a light, protein skimmer, heater, and a few power heads. Is this right? Let me know

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 01:54 PM
What kind of budget do you have to work with here? And how complete do you want to be at the end of the initial setup?

If you want to be "Done" with it and you are pretty open on the budget, it makes this a lot easier. It will also dictate what you need to do :D

pennyguy23
11/27/2005, 04:41 PM
My budget isnt endless but its fair. I want to be done. But I don't want to be broke at the end either.

MadTownMax
12/14/2005, 02:30 PM
I'm going to recommend some somewhat low-end items, but stuff that will get you on your way without breaking the bank.

If the tank is not drilled, I'd keep all the water in one box, and save yourself the expense, risk, and headaches of running a sump - personally that is not how I did it, but my tank came pre-drilled, and unless you want to drill, I would go "sumpless" for now - if you decide you like keeping a reef tank and get tired of the look of all the equipment in the tank down the road, you can drill the tank, or buy a tank already drilled then.

A new, easy to use, cheap, and efficient skimmer is the new coralife super skimmer - Here is a nice link about it:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=563298&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I suggest using some sort of small box to skim the top centimeter or so water from the surface to feed the skimmer - it will work much better that way (more organics at the air/water layer).

For flow - get two Seio m620's - mounted in the back top corners facing eachother - they will give you a good amount of random and diffused current (around the 1300 gph) suggested earlier in this thread.

For lighting - if you can afford it, I would suggest a 36-inch 4-bulb T5 Tek light. An even better option - if you're comfortable building a canopy for your tank and doing some simple wiring - is to get a T5 retrofit kit, same thing for about 1/2 the cost. With a retrofit kit you can always start with two bulbs and add more later if you want to keep more light-loving animals.

For lighting, you will probably be tempted to get a power-compact flourescent fixture, as they're cheap and easily available - however, you will have to replace the bulbs about every 7-months or so - which gets expensive very quickly. The T5 flourescent bulbs last for 18-months to two years (if cooled correctly) and will save you a lot of money in the long run.

HTH - glad to answer any questions - I just set up a 65-gallon tank myself; pictures in my gallery (click on the camera icon above my post) ;).