ItsMee
11/26/2005, 10:07 PM
phos=0
trate=0
trite=0
amm=0
TDS of RO/DI = 0

I feed lightly

Ok, so this algae is wierd because on the bottom its like coralline and hard to scrape off...but wherever this "coralline" is, there is the nasty fuzzy stuff on top of it. This is the part of the tank where it likes the most-which is a VERY high flow area!

Any Idears?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/enpharedskin/Picture001.jpg

ReeferAl
11/26/2005, 11:07 PM
It looks to me like you have coralline covering a bare-bottom tank and that a second type of algae is growing with and on the coralline. I have found that I get some very fine "hair" algae that grows in the highest flow areas of my tank and actually decreases if I direct the flow away a bit. Whatever it is, you may have the same. My hermits do seem to eat it but they have a hard time because of the high flow which blows them away. My advice would be to see if you can redirect the flow a bit away from the bottom for a while and see if that helps.
Allen

Randall_James
11/27/2005, 12:34 AM
Is it soft or does it look fuzzy and is very brittle?

Never seen "Fuzzy" coraline. If it is soft fuzzy, could be some type of turf algae or just young green hair algae.

if it is brittle then maybe some type of coraline?

At least is is in the open where you can harvest it out of the tank.

ItsMee
11/27/2005, 02:34 AM
well, its like coralline (brittle and hard to scrape) on the bottom...but everywhere this "coralline" is, it has the soft and fuzzy stuff growing on top of it. When I scrape it with a tooth brush (hard) the bottom part stays and the fuzzy stuff comes off pretty easily.

Paintbug
11/27/2005, 11:24 AM
Dinoflagellates growing on the coralline maybe?