PDA

View Full Version : New Cleaning Crew??

k9cop1512
11/26/2005, 08:36 PM
Need a new cleaning crew. Couple companies have different package opinions....

What are the best for Reef Tank? I have 2 cukes left and very few snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 serpent star, 1-bristal star.

One company seems to like the Scarlet red hermits.....18 of them in the package. Another likes the blue Hermits--which my exparience is their more aggressive.

I was thinking about a sand sifting Star and a lawnmore blenny...haven't had those yet?

Any strong recomendations? I have a hair algea and detrious problem...Thanks, Tim

milhouse74
11/26/2005, 09:00 PM
I do love my blue legs, I also love my Nassarius snails but would only get the Vibex. An added bonus of Vibex is they are too small for a blue leg to kill for the shell. I have never lost one to a blue leg. Plus they stir the sand bed by living in it. It is also fun to watch them rise like zombies when you toss in food pelets.

Also small stars are good cleaners too. Florida pets sells them as "micro stars"

Astreas are good too, but you will over time loose a few to blue legs.

A few Cerith snails for a good mix, and I LOVE my Queen Conch, but while small you may have to protect it from hermits who want her shell.

Better prices then most packages can be found at florida pets:
http://www.floridapets.com/

You can just make your own package for a good price or they also sell packages.

ReeferAl
11/26/2005, 11:20 PM
I'd agree with milhouse74 on most. I would avoid any "sand-sifting" stars as they feed on the microfauna in the sand bed more than the detritus and deplete the sand of its important inhabitants. I would also avoid the queen conch unless you later plan to make chowder. It will eventually outgrow most tanks, and certainly a 65. A better choice would be one of the fighting conchs. They are also available captive raised. I would also recommend a mix that emphasises snails over hermits although some of each is good IMO. Don't bother getting any nerite snails unless you know they are a kind that will stay in the tank. Most crawl out and die waiting for the "tide to return". I have gotten nerite "guaranteed" to stay in the tank,that I subsequently found dried up on the floor. Don't trust vendor claims about them.
Allen

bj32482
11/27/2005, 12:35 AM
http://keyscritters.com/

milhouse74
11/27/2005, 09:43 AM
I don't think myself I could ever make the $100 min order from Keys, plus there is a min purchase on each item. Thats what I like about Florida Pets, no minimums at all.

k9cop1512
11/27/2005, 11:02 AM
Florida Pets looked good, So did key critters. I need them quick though, and key critters ships on Mondays only with deadline of Friday for orders. Both have great prices. Thanks for the help and input. Tim

milhouse74
11/27/2005, 11:04 AM
If you can get a few people together and do a group buy, keys is a great deal, nothing against them.