PDA

View Full Version : Placement on new corals???

OC CJ
11/26/2005, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, i just got some new corals today.

Frog spawn
Daisy's
Flower Pot

I know certain corals should be in certain depths of the tank. My tank is 18" tall, i put the frog spawn and the daisy's near the bottom and the flowerpot near the middle.

I have pc lights totallying 150 watts.

Will that be ok?

drake66
11/26/2005, 06:44 PM
that flowerpot might not make it. they require MH at best

OC CJ
11/26/2005, 06:47 PM
Well, they had the flowerpot in a 24g nano for a couple months.

jeffrey_ropp
11/26/2005, 08:15 PM
Does "they" mean the employees at the fish store? If so, where did you buy it? They gave you some bad advice.

The frogspawn should be ok with your lights.

What are Daisy's?

OC CJ
11/26/2005, 11:36 PM
Well, i was reading up on the flowerpots online and am aware of the controversy over them. And many people say pc lights are acceptable but many people say that mh's are needed. I guess since they had it in a nano for a few months helps support that pc's can be used, althought mh's might be better suited for them.

I'm not going to get into what store gave me the info as they are extremely nice guys and have great customer service. Plus, according to much of the research i did, they didn't exactly give me bad information.

And the daisy's i'm referring to look like this:

Daisy Coral (http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/images/coral_farm/soft_coral/cornularia_2.jpg)

jeffrey_ropp
11/26/2005, 11:50 PM
Rather than light, I think the issue with flowerpots concerns the iron requirements of the species. From what I've read, they'll do ok for a few months then slowly deteriorate unless you supplement. I certainly hope you have better success with them.

Thanks for the Daisy pic....kinda like Clove Polyps.

Cheers,
Jeff

NicoleC
11/27/2005, 12:02 AM
How many gallons is the tank? 150w seems pretty low for an 18" deep tank. If they are clustered together with a good reflector, they may be producing enough intensity. Of course, I have 260w over a 20" deep 100g, and most people would say that's not enough. There are no hard and fast rules on the subject.

The polyps will likely be fine in the middle. The frog will need more light, so I'd put it at the very top (with appropriate light acclimation.)

The flowerpot I would place at the top, but it will almost certainly die anyway. No one knows why they just don't survive in our tanks. I would return it, but if you keep it, and you manage to keep it alive for more than a year, please document everything for posterity. There are a few folks that have succeeded with them, and of course they have their theories why, but no real common denominator has appeared.

OC CJ
11/27/2005, 12:52 AM
Tank is a 40 gal simplicity plus with only about 30 gal of usable space since the filtration is built in. i spoke to a few people who said 150w should work although more would be ideal. Bought the light off a friend for $50 so i figured it was a good deal.

well, if i got a year out of the flowerpot than i got my moneys worth, plus i got such a good deal when i bought all three i couldn't pass it up. The frog has seven stalks and is about 6 inches total in diameter, only paid 33 bucks for it.

firerock
11/27/2005, 03:26 AM
Check http://www.reefcraze.com/, and the article in Reefkeeping magazine back in October 2005, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php, these are the people that has sucessfully kept the Gonis well beyond 1 year.

I also have a pink goni for about a month, which I place it around the middle of the tank. However, my lighting is much stronger than yours, 384 watts with 4 pcs. I am moving it higher up the rockwork slowly, hopefully it'll increase its chance of survival in my tank. I also feed it and other corals with cyclop-eeze and Oyster eggs in additional to phytoplankton.

Interestingly, I also have three or four daisy corals that you have bought, they came with the cancycane. :D They are placed in a shaded area in the middle of the tank and seems to be doing fine. They are really cute and I wouldn't mind buying a whole rock covered with them. However, I have never seem them in any any hobbiest's tank or LFS.

Hope this helps. :)

pmemo
11/27/2005, 07:00 AM
firerock, I can't open the links. can you?

firerock
11/27/2005, 08:07 AM
:o sorry, get rid of that comma after the links and they'll open.

There ya go again:
http://www.reefcraze.com/
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

OC CJ
11/27/2005, 02:00 PM
That's some really good info, thanks for the help.

JENnKerry
11/27/2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by drake66
flowerpot, they require MH at best

Not true.

coralGoodie
11/27/2005, 04:05 PM
I've got a flower pot for motnhs now and I have 4-65 Watts PC. It's thriving and expanding. I feed it with calcium /buffer and photmax every other day. I remember when I got it from Apex Aquarium, it was pale and light. Now, it has color of brown/tan and I put it on top og my dead elk horn coral. It's one of my crowning glory (aside from my Xenia which is on top of another huge rock which I called the Materhorn.) I guess it needs a very clean environment. Lo s of TLC I should say.

JENnKerry
11/27/2005, 04:34 PM
I guess it needs a very clean environment

Actually they like dirtier water. Not dirty like "dirt" but higher in nutrients. Like firerock plugged earlier, check our site for some good info.