PDA

View Full Version : very confused... what type of t5 lighting for anemone only tank

BANANAICE
11/26/2005, 05:48 PM
i currentyly have A 120 GALLON TANK 72 IN LONG, AND ONLY 20 IN HIGH... I AM CONFUSED ON WHAT TYPE OF T5 LIGHTING TO USE TO HOUSE ONLY ANEMONES (LTA & BTA)....

tHERE ARE TWO TYPES IM LOOKING AT NOW.. ONE IS A 8 BULB FIXTURE WITH 34 WATT BULBS AND VERY GOOD INDIVIDUAL REFLECTORS.... AND THE OTHER IS A FINNEX FIXTURE W/ ONLY 1 REFLECTOR WITH 4 X 39 WATT BULBS.

)mY TANK IS 72 IN LONG SO I NEED TWO OF WHICHEVER ONE I PICK, AS THEY ARE BOTH ONLY 35 IN LONG)

PLEASE TELL ME WHICH IS BEST FOR ANEMONE'S...WILL THEY BE OK WITH THA CHEAP FINNEX FIXTURE?

jdallred
11/26/2005, 06:53 PM
You definitely want to do a system with the individual reflectors as they are much more effective at get the most amount of light to the tank. Take a look at reefgeek.com, they have great prices on T5 lighting. You might also consider doing a retrofit kit and go with the 80 watt 60" bulbs.

BANANAICE
11/26/2005, 07:31 PM
thanks for the reply Jdallred,

im a little new to this whole concept of t5 lighting.... correct me if im wrong but wouldn't a retro-fit bascically be buying te lights, reflectors, and ballasts individually and installing them on the top inside of a canopy or to somethin similar so that you can make them fit a length not offered by the fixtures they sell?

dugg
11/26/2005, 08:22 PM
Have you read the anemone thread in the new to the hobby forum? I would highly reccomend that you look in to metal halide if you want to keep anemones. You will have a larger failyre rate under T-5. Some will do fine under T-5, but you will have more than a few that no matter what you do, will not do well under anything but metal halide. Anemones are ranked right up there with SPS in difficulty to keep, and conditions needed to do well.

milhouse74
11/26/2005, 09:05 PM
eah the sticky thread in new to the hobby is a must read.

BANANAICE
11/26/2005, 09:10 PM
sorry i didnt mean to post the thread in the"newbie section" i have a lot of experience with marine tanks as well as keeping anemones, however i am completely new to what they need in terms of t5 lighting but you all have been very helpful

BANANAICE
11/26/2005, 09:16 PM
i didnt see any stick thread pertaining to anemones and light..... the only one i even saw pertaining to anemones was the one about host anemones and captivity......whats the name of the thread your reffering to?