PDA

View Full Version : Where in the circuit should I put the GFCI?

Fmellish
11/26/2005, 04:12 PM
I am going to get a fish tank. I am going to put it in my family room. I am going to switch one of the outlets to GFCI.

I read that any outlet downstream of the GFCI will get the benefit of GFCI protection. So that leads to my question, how do I determine which of my 6 outlets in my family room is the most upstream, (first in line from the breaker).

Or does it not matter where in the circuit it is and any outlet can be switched to GFCI and then all outlets on that circuit are protected?

Thanks

Mykayel
11/26/2005, 04:16 PM
It doesn't matter, any outlet on the same circuit that has a GFCI will get the benifit. All household wiring is done in paralel so there really isn't an "upstream".

Also, I'd assume the quality is just as good, but they sell GFCI power strips, and you're going to need the power strip anyway so you can just go that route if you don't want to mess with chaning out an outlet (even though that's only a two minute job).

Fmellish
11/26/2005, 04:18 PM
Fantastic, thank you Mykayel.

WaterKeeper
11/26/2005, 04:18 PM
With out actually tracing the wiring from the breaker box to the wall plugs it is hard to tell. In general, the plug that is closer to the fuse box is usually first in line but that depends on the whims of the electrician. If nothing critical is in your fish room it really make no difference. If the circuit also runs your dialysis machine, then you might want to use the TEST button on the GFCI to see if you die while trying it. :eek1:

:D

justgeorge
11/26/2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Mykayel
It doesn't matter, any outlet on the same circuit that has a GFCI will get the benifit. All household wiring is done in paralel so there really isn't an "upstream".

Also, I'd assume the quality is just as good, but they sell GFCI power strips, and you're going to need the power strip anyway so you can just go that route if you don't want to mess with chaning out an outlet (even though that's only a two minute job).

Sorry, not correct. Outlets are definitely chained together one to the next. But the GFCI power strip is a good idea, or to make sure change out the outlet that will be used for the tank to GFCI.

WaterKeeper
11/26/2005, 04:54 PM
Absolutely correct George. A wall socket GFCI protects those outlets further away from the fuse box than those closer to it. Upstream sockets are unprotected. A strip type GFCI only protects the strip as it is not hard wired into the household system.

Mykayel
11/26/2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I wasn't thinking correctly about the GFCI, I was only thinking in terms of typical wiring being in parellel so there wouldn't be an upstream, but the GFCI breaks the power so it isn't wired in the same manner.

schristi69
11/27/2005, 12:06 AM
You could put in a GFCI breaker and all of the plugs would be protected. I use a GFCI power strip myself

xtrstangx
11/27/2005, 12:16 AM
My reef tank is on a GFCI breaker. One disadvantage is that ALL of the equipment is on this breaker. So if my fan trips the breaker, ALL the pumps are off. I'd recommend leaving atleast circulation pump on a different circuit (if you use a GFCI breaker), a different outlet (if you use GFCI outlets), or a different power strip (if you use a GFCI powerstrip).

I'm planning on moving a pump over to an outlet for my living room.