PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a "taller" aquarium?

kirklt
11/26/2005, 12:57 PM
I have a 40 gallon Truvu acrylic aquarium that is 36 x 15 x 16. I like the aquarium, but I recently moved into a house with a taller ceiling and now the aquarium seems too "squat" for the room that it is in.

I would lke to find a taller tank - maybe 36" or even taller - that uses that same footprint. I am happy with a plain rectangle shape.

Is there a vendor that stocks such a size? Or do I need to look at having it custom built?

UberNachtfalke
11/26/2005, 02:05 PM
If you make it taller, may as well make it wider too. Otherwise air exchange won't be very good.

If you have the room, go for a 48x24x24 if you can. It's around 120 gallons. Should seem taller as well as bigger in length and depth. If you have the room, that is.

Otherwise, yes, you'll have to get it custom made.

BBoley24
11/26/2005, 02:08 PM
so anything beyond an average tank such as my 100 gallon ocean view must be custom made... i mean ive seen some decent 120 at the LFS by oceanic... but honestly i need something that is tall and has a tall stand so i dont have to bend to look at the damn thing...

UberNachtfalke
11/26/2005, 02:55 PM
Eh? Are you two users?

Anyways, 24" should be sufficiently taller than a 16" aquarium. Standardized sizes do exist past 120 gallons, heh, though not particularly tall. When you get larger, there really isn't much of a "tall" size that I've seen. They mainly make the tanks uniformly wider and taller as the length goes up.

BBoley24
11/26/2005, 03:06 PM
yeah we are different users with a fundamentally similar question... I am in search of a 175g or higher RR tank that has slim to no center divide that is at least 24" or taller and has a stand (probably get this custom made) that sits up to where i dont have to bend down to look at my tank(like i do now on my 100gallon)

kirklt
11/26/2005, 03:09 PM
Yes - we are different users.

Is there a way to remedy the air exchange problem with a tall tank?

BBoley24
11/26/2005, 03:14 PM
yeah i would suppose that you run a PVC to the bottom or some airline tubing and airate it or just have better circulation with some powerheads,,, im sure it can be done... i wouldnt worry about it to much... the worst problem i could see happening is an algae build up down there...