PDA

View Full Version : Adding live stock for the first time

mmotown
11/26/2005, 12:54 PM
Hello guys,

I am ready to order my first addition(s) to my aquarium. I already have my clean up crew. I have read about adding livestock to an aquarium slowly so the water parameters won't unstabilize. Is it the same for corals(SPS) and or hammers etc? Can I add as many corals as I want or do I have to use the same caution as with fish? My tank has been cycling 8weeks now. Amonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, PH 8.5, salinity .022, calcium 470.

What would be nice for first time sps's or first time corals in general? Thanks!!!!

mikenpam
11/26/2005, 02:31 PM
I am not sure how fast you can add corals but I would think that you would like to see how any new addition works out before adding too many more. I have added three at a time and it worked well in my 90. I am new to the hobby so take this as just my opinion. I would add some simple to keep leathers for starters. An easy to keep LPS would also be good. As you gain experience then you could go to some of the more difficult SPS corals. I have read where some people quaranteen their corals although I have not. Remember to give them space to grow and some corals are aggresive and will sting other corals if placed too close together. I would suggest having a thought of what you want your tank to look like as you begin adding your corals. You will also need to know which corals need high-medium-low light and water movement as that will dictate placement in your tank.

There is a book, Ultimate Marine Aquariums, that has many examples of fantastic reef set-ups that could give you ideas.

Andrew
11/26/2005, 02:33 PM
Don't add the corals all at once. Corals require 5 times the amount of care then fish. Whats your fish list and what types of corals do you want to keep? LPS, SPS, ect. Plus post your water levels.

fastjunkie
11/26/2005, 03:18 PM
zoa's,star polyps,maybe a leather?These are fairly simple corals to start out with....plus they can be very colorful.

WaterKeeper
11/26/2005, 04:32 PM
I suggest you add only one or two specimens at a time. This of course depends on the size of the corals that you add. With small frags you can add more. The thing is to let the tank's biology time to adjust to the new bioload.

mmotown
11/27/2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
I suggest you add only one or two specimens at a time. This of course depends on the size of the corals that you add. With small frags you can add more. The thing is to let the tank's biology time to adjust to the new bioload.

WaterKeeper if I had two at a time, how much time in between shold elapse before adding another coral or a fish?

WaterKeeper
11/27/2005, 03:57 PM
I like to give it two to three weeks but, if you are really wise, it is best to place the corals in a Q-tank before addition to the display. That increases the time to a minimum of 4 weeks.