PDA

View Full Version : Fariy / flasher wrasse tank mates

Jeremy Blaze
11/26/2005, 10:17 AM
Not to take away from bronce777's very infomitive thread, but I thought i should start this one. I feel the idea behind his thread was more for ID purposes, but got overwelmed with stocking questions.

SO, if you have a fairy or flasher wrasse, please share.

Wrasse species

Time in tank

Tank size

Other fish in tank with

Fish that you have seen harassing the wrasse

etc

CeeGee
11/26/2005, 01:17 PM
I hope people respond to this thread.

I don't have much to add as my fairy wrasse is in quarantine. I am going to take the fish that is in my main tank out and add the wrasse in by itself for a little while to give it a better chance.

Depending on what this thread yields I may ditch my other fish. I would hate to ditch my royal gramma though. They may be common but mine is very nice looking. Not sure about it's temperment as he is the only fish in the tank.

Ironsheikh
11/26/2005, 04:34 PM
I started to see all the pics on wrasse and wanted to start stocking my tnak with them --I wanted to get an exquisite, hawaiian flame, filament, and clown

i ordered a filamented flasher and a clown fairy from marinedepotlive.

came in bad shape, dull colors, beat up fins --I wasnt happy with the order-- anyway

the clown fairy lives with a clown, royalgramma, friedmani pseudo, and gets frequent cleanings from a neon goby, oh and a potter's angel

doing fine in a 60g -- the filamented flasher lasted long enough for the warranty to run out and died.
but no problems in the tank--everyone gets along --although I'm kind of turned off from wrasse now--I think if I saw it at the pet store I would've never bought them --
I don't like the body shape and swimming style --the colors are the only thing that I like

Jeremy Blaze
11/26/2005, 04:37 PM
Clown fairy? Never heard of that one.

Ironsheikh
11/26/2005, 04:44 PM
goes by several names --you can find it on any live fish site--- green w/ the yellow face --- $30 -$70

CeeGee
11/27/2005, 12:16 AM
the clown fairy wrasse is more commonly called a solar wrasse

Philwd
11/27/2005, 01:50 AM
I have had 2 carpenters flashers. First one was harassed a bit by my clarkiis(mostly the male) and was eventually killed by my male clarkii when they were in QT for ich. He was in the tank for about 5 mos. My second carpenters was chased a bit but actually stood up to the female clarkii after a couple days and they pretty much left him alone after that.

I currently have a labouti in QT by himself so no experience there except he is very skittish.

Tank is a 150 5' long. Other fish in the tank besides the clarkiis were 2 mandarins with the first flasher(died of the ich) and a royal gramma in with the second.

Phil

Thurge
11/27/2005, 01:51 AM
Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus (Red margin Fairy) first fairy (close to two years)
Cirrhilabrus solorensis (Solerinsis fairy) second fairy (well over a year)
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Lubbock Fairy) 5 months
Amphiprion tricinctus (Maroon Clown) one of the first fish
Halichoeres chrysus (Yellow Coris Wrasse) 9 months or so (rescently deceased dut to jumping into the overflow and taking a ride down the durso) May replace with a Hovens.
Sphaeramia nematoptera (pajama cardinal) 18 months
Siganus uspi (bicolor Foxface) 2 weeks
(Watchman Gobie) 2 years
pair of Skunk Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
Two different Pistol shrimp (I never see them so it may just be one but I added a tiger 3 months ago to complement the Carribean P. that has been in there a LONG time)

58 Oceanic with 25gal sump/fuge

I had several other fairies when I first set the tank ou but then for reasons I can't fathon at this time, I sold off the fairies, and started over. Every one gets along pretty well, the fox is still setteling in, and flairs occasionally, but it should settle in. I had another regular Foxface before this, but I wanted a less commonly seen species and sold it to get this one. It was in the tank for 6 months with no aggression.
the clown is a clown, but she isn't beligerent (at this time but being a memeber of the damsel family that could change). She will charge peopel that get to close to her anemony, but doesn't chase after them.
Gobie is the GRUMPIEST FISH EVER. he has a pile of Tonga Branch he hangs out in and around, then holes up with a pistol in another rock at night. ANYONE who gets to close to that pile of him himself, gets run off. One of these days I would bet the Foxface is going to stick him, and I an going to have to laugh at Justce Served.
Pajama cardinal is hardly seen during the day, and nobody pays him any attention.
Yellow Choris Wrasse got along fabulosly with everyone.

Had to get rid of a very dark Finespot Fairy that was a little smaller than the Solerinsis (who is very light) due to aggression. Thats really the only aggression I can think of. Most of the choices for inhabitants have been made wih the fairy's in mind-ish. Some like the Halichoeres were in responce to problems such as Montipora munching Nudibranchs.