PDA

View Full Version : Drain to Sump.. Help

JRFowler
11/26/2005, 07:04 AM
Right, im a little confused. I currently have my drain line to my sump plumbed out in 1" 1/4 PVC plastic pipe.. however, the water gushing down it is very noisey, I have tried altering the pipework, but it still makes alot of noise going down it..

I have cured things in the sump, and gurgling from the top point of the drain, but im now wondering if I should rip out the PVC downpipe to the sump and replace it with Plastic Flexi Tubing similar to what im using on my return from my pump as it is less rigid and surely would make less noise?

What are your thoughts on this, should I just leave it as it is or change it over, would this flexi tube make less of a gushing noise?

:confused:

Bandsaw
11/26/2005, 07:38 AM
I've never tried rigid PVC. I use the 1 1/4" Hi Pressure flex hose to my sump which is in my basement. My choice was purely out of ease (no elbows, no exact measurements, etc). I am using an SOS overflow. It does make some noise, but no gurgling of any kind. In fact the time we really hear it is when the house is dead quit.

Out of curiosity, what kind of overflow are you using? Is it a hangup or drilled tank. If a drilled tank, there is a technique you can use (the name escapes me right now, just starting on my morning coffee). I beleive that there is a DIY one at http://www.melevsreef.com/

JRFowler
11/26/2005, 07:51 AM
My tank is Drilled with an internal Weir, I have a Durso Standpipe in the weir to stop any gurgling (which works very well)..

What I am now trying to overcome is the gushing coming from the inside of the rigid PVC, Which I dont think im going to cure...

By the sounds of things, flexi hose is much more quiet.. but can i ask, dont u have problems with bubbling in your sump if you just have a hose into water their?

If so, to combat that I was thinking of going back to PVC just before the sump to help air escape using a T..

Its all good in my theory in my head, BUT, knowing my thories it wont sodding work :lol: !

Bandsaw
11/26/2005, 08:07 AM
I'm using a Tidlepool 2. The water comes into the sump, hits a disk that spreads the column, goes through a floss filter layer, than carbon, then phosgaurd. Water then is gathered into a corner and dumped into the sump. From there, there is a baffle that the flow has to go through.

One thought that I do have is this. On the standard tidllepool, there is a main discharge and an overflow discharge. I don't use the overflow. I have it capped at the overflow and just left open in the basement. The racket is makes in the basement is quite noticeable, however no noise from the upstairs end. I am wondering if the injection of air at the basement end is helping my cause. I'll try to block it here today and see if any noticeable noise shows up at the tank overflow.

Bandsaw
11/26/2005, 08:12 AM
Thinking here a bit more, the flexy hose likely is better at noise reduction as it is a generally streight and continuas path to the sump. No elbows or the such to cause resistance and therefore noise. That flex hose at 1 1/4" ID is not very easy to work with and it certainly can not be bent into any tight radius. I bet you it is more quit. As I said, I used it as it seem easier to do that muck around with rigid pipe. I mean, I drilled the floor and threaded through the pipe and pushed on. Two minutes it was done. A little more expensive I think (that size of flex hose is not cheap!), but it was worth it for me. My 3/4" ID return is also hi pressure flex hose.

Bandsaw
11/27/2005, 09:58 AM
JRFowler, I plugged up the intake of my sump where the overflow would normally go. Made no noise difference (except downstairs, cut the noise down in the water room - hence forth, it shall remain plugged!).

If you have your email address in your profile, I can PM some pictures of mine to you.