PDA

View Full Version : sally lightfoot crab eating fish?

3rotorFD
11/26/2005, 02:43 AM
Hey guys! i lost 2 blue damsels allready. The first one i think died B/C of the tank cycling w/ the fish in it. But I found another one dead tonight,when i got home from work=( . And i think the crab ate it. B/C when i found it it was half eaten!I've noticed the crab comes out and grabs my goby but the goby is strong and gets away.Do these crabs Kill and eat smaller fish? should i get rid of it? I'm moving everything to a bigger tank(55 gallon) soon. anyone:confused:
PS i think it's a sally lightfoot. kinda brown/purpleish looking,yellow stripes on its legs and a green stripe across the front?

mikenpam
11/26/2005, 03:45 AM
There have been threads on this subject and if I remember correctly some people felt they were losing fish to their sally lightfoot crabs; however, most did not. My sally lightfoot hasn't messed with my goby. I would suspect that your second blue damsel may have died and the sally lightfoot, a scavanger, then began to eat it.

Bandsaw
11/26/2005, 07:46 AM
I have read that larger sallys do become predatory. How big is yours? I have thought about one for my tank just to keep up the diversity in the tank. However, several invertebrate books have stated that they are not reef safe as they get predatory as they grow larger. Small to medium sallys seem to be OK.

3rotorFD
11/26/2005, 11:39 AM
Mine is about 3 inches wide from side to side including legs