PDA

View Full Version : additional skimmer?

SPAMREEF
11/25/2005, 10:39 PM
is it benificial to run a second skimmer ? i got a cheapo on ebay so was gona run the 2 skimmers,,,,good right?

Balandar
11/25/2005, 11:08 PM
you can overskim.... which isn't good. It's better to have a skimmer rated at your tank size or a little bigger.. at least that's what I've read..

jjmg
11/25/2005, 11:18 PM
I believe that it depends on what kind of corals you are keeping. No such thing as overskimming for SPS. But for softies such as leathers and shrooms you should leave a bit more in the water. If you don't mind the extra electrical cost a second skimmer could give you a bit of piece of mind if your main skimmer dies for some reason.

harper
11/25/2005, 11:25 PM
Frequently one of the two skimmers will win out. The other skimmer won’t produce at all. That is if they are different skimmer designs. For instance I had a ASM g-2 running with a Tunze 230. The Tunze would not produce anything but a slight ring around the inside of the reaction chamber. I also had a large ETS running with several large airstone skimmers, the airstone skimmers would not produce after a few weeks with the ETSS on the system. If the system is woefully under skimmed im sure that both skimmers would perform. I don’t think its possible in most cases to over skim, as long as you account for the specific gravity. FWIW.